Monday, January 04, 2021

And We Are Off to a New Year

 Jesse came over on New Year Day along with Lindz and the babies. It was a cold, wet day. We had a fire going in the wood stove and black-eyed peas on to cook and a ham in the smoker. We played with the babies and enjoyed the afternoon with the girls.  Jesse stayed the night and ate black-eyed peas with us. Because we put okra in our peas, we did not invite Lindz to eat with us. She would have been grossed out by the okra. Ha! Here is a picture of Christmas morning with Shay and New Years with the babies:

  Early Saturday morning Toby's sister called to say that their mom had fallen and been taken to the hospital in WF. The good news was that she did not break any bones. Because she had been dealing with a UTI, the hospital decided to admit her and deal with that. That is also good news. Having a UTI is no fun, but they tend to make her crazy and confused. The nursing home tries to take care of these things, but they do not give very personalized care like the hospital. Toby headed to WF to relieve his sister at the hospital. I came over with Jesse a little later. Although it was much easier for Toby to get into the hospital than it has been for him to get in to the nursing home, the hospital only allows one visitor at a time. I'm just glad they allowed visitors at all.  Toby stayed with his mom all day, while I got to spend time with Jesse. We also went over to see my little brother and his wife.  Toby's other sister relieved him that evening, and we came home. Toby was worn out. His mom had been very agitated and combative - not wanting the nurses to touch her, moving and talking nonsense. Part of that was probably pain from the fall and mostly confusion/craziness from the UTI. Anyway, it was a tough day for Toby. He went back on Sunday morning and spent most of Sunday with her. He said she was more restful, but still not doing great. She is not eating and is very frail. 

This morning he is back at work, and I will be heading to CTAC to set up the next show in the gallery. The guest artist is Hollis Howard. He is an older man, retired from teaching. I think he was at the college in Chickasha. Anyway, it should be a good show. 





7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Hope the show goes really well. Congrats on getting it up and all set to go.

Your photos are excellent. Fun to see the kiddos and Jesse, looks like she has short hair.

Cannot imagine your time with Toby’s mom. This whole virus thing is so awful. An elderly coupe here, early 90s have the virus and are in Luling, closest hospital at this time. They went in together but are still isolated and can’t see each other and have no family here to help them. Really awful. Maybe since we are old folks we will get the vaccine soon.

Gene’s sister leaves tomorrow so will get the sheets washed for you guys! Hugs.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
It is hard not to be able to see Toby's mom when we want. On the other hand, it has freed Toby up to be here at home on weekends. Not that that is as important as seeing his mom, but it is still nice sometimes.
Jesse's hair is short. It looks good on her and is really easy - I guess you know that. You both look good with short hair.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! What do the babies think of the enormous dog?

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
The babies love the dogs. You can see Theo petting him in the picture. Honour is a bit rough sometimes and gets in trouble for squeezing the dogs nose or some such stuff.

Etienne said...

That dog looks like he needs his own sofa!

When my hair goes over my ear, it is too long and drives me crazy. I'd never make it as a long hair hippie.

Well, maybe with a pony tail or a man bun. Hee

I finished building my rifle over Christmas. Took 9 months to gather all the parts and do the milling. I bought an 80% lower for an AR15, but didn't realize the country shut down for COVID. Everything took 4 to 6 weeks backorder for parts.

I got the 20 inch barrel Bad part is, the gun weighs 9 pounds! Geez. So now I'm buying parts to build an AR15 pistol.

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
The dog sometimes thinks the sofa is his, although he has his own little mattress.
I didn't know you built guns. I don't know much about them. For me, simple is best.

Etienne said...

Funny thing, I don't really need guns anymore since selling my farm.

I have a .22 pistol I used to kill turtles trying to burrow under my foundation, and scare off feral dogs.

I guess it was more curiosity than anything. I'll probably give it to my nephew who actually owns a gun safe.