Sunday, January 17, 2021

End Times

 It has been a crazy week with Toby and me driving back and forth to Wichita Falls to be with his mom.  He did work through the week, but when he could, he took off and headed to WF.  He is doing well, but it is tough on him - a boy and his mother. Mostly, it is not knowing what to do for sure - be there or be at work. I let him do whatever he wants. If he thinks he needs to take off and be there, my thought is he should go for it. In times like these, you have to do now what you can live with later. 

This past weekend, we went over on Thursday and spent the night with Jesse. She made chorizo and eggs for breakfast and treated us well. At the end of Friday, we drove home to sleep in our own bed and take care of the animals. We got up Saturday and drove back over. When it came time to make the decision on staying with Jes or going home, we had a bit of a misunderstanding. I thought we decided for home. Toby thought we were going to Jesse's. So my mind was going in one direction and his was going in another. We stopped to get gas and have another "discussion" on the subject. By this time, I was just mad, although I got over it quickly. I think we were both tired. We decided to come on home and get some rest. 

It is a good thing we came home, because about 2 AM, I woke up hearing running water. At first I thought the coffee pot had started. I almost went back to sleep, but I went to check out the sound. I turned on the hall light to see water flooding the room. I hollered for Toby, and he came and shut the water off. It was the water softener. We spent the next hour and a half going back and forth to the barn getting the shop vac and all its parts. Toby vacuumed as much water as he could. The good news is that we can turn the water off to the softener and still have water to the house. What a mess, though! 

We went back to bed at almost 4 AM. and slept later than usual. It threw the whole day off. Toby went to WF and I stayed home to clean up. Several times throughout the day, I vacuumed water out of the rug. I did laundry from us running back and forth to WF, and I washed all the rags and towels used in the water softener fi-ass-co. Toby got home about 6:30 PM. Nothing much has changed with his mom. The time is getting closer. 

Toby has tomorrow off for MLK Day. We will be back in WF.

7 comments:

Etienne said...

Thinking about your sausage and eggs breakfast, I have been kind of depressed lately, and not interested in eating much (which is a good thing for my figure).

So the other day I scrambled and cooked a whole carton of eggs. I put them in a plastic tray in the fridge. Then I cooked a whole bag of Potatoes O'Brien and put that in another tray.

Now for breakfast all I have to do is boil water for my instant coffee, and microwave some of the eggs and potatoes. No dishes to wash!

Gack! Anyway it'll have to do until I get excited when the weather changes and I can start working in the garage again. Too cold now.

Etienne said...

When I leave the house for a day, I have a bunch of circuit breakers I shut off. I then shut off the main water in the coat closet.

Ask me why? ha.

Every time something breaks, I want to go get an apartment again, and leave it all to the landlord!

The last freeze we had, I had three leaks on my ceiling sheetrock. I think the ice worked its way under the shingles, as the last rain didn't leak again.

Jo Castillo said...

Dang, what a mess. Good you went home.

Sorry about Toby’s mom. So hard when there is nothing you can do. Happy you can see her.

Breakfast with Jesse sounds good. We had awful pancakes this morning. Used a mix, Pioneer, they didn’t have any Bisquick and I thought I wouldn’t bother with making my own. All gooey even though they were over cooked. Guess the baking powder part was old although it had sell by date of July 21. Sigh. Should have made breakfast burritos.

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
We don't usually think much about the water softener, since it is like the hot water heater - just doing its job on its own. But when those things go bad, they make a mess. The problem with apartments is neighbors - close neighbors. I've lived in the country too long.

Jo,
Years ago while in Austin taking care of my brother's kids, I tried to make pancakes. He was on some sort of health food kick and didn't have the good stuff, which is bad for you, I guess. Anyway, I made pancakes that tasted like sandpaper. I told the kids we would feed them to the dogs. I remember the kids being amazed that dogs would eat pancakes.

Jo Castillo said...

Yep, dogs eat most things. Jennie's dogs only eat special dog food and not allowed to have scraps. Shoot, our dogs even ate chicken bones. Scary, I know. Pancakes never satisfy me, feel hungry right after. Gene uses about a cup of syrup so I don't fix them very often.

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a sensor in houses that detects when you are going to be gone for a period of time, and then arranges for a leak to occur. This time the sensor was tricked because you actually had returned. Likewise we had a leak the day I left for Italy, but my husband was working from home that day and found it. So many people I know have had leaks...I have water sensors. Last time, the water went around the sensors...Sigh...It was heart-breaking. We have a basement in Texas...

FF

Bag Blog said...

FF,
I think the farm senses when my husband is gone too. It seems like that is usually when we have leak in the waterline, or break in the fence or porcupine quills in the dog's nose, etc.