Friday, April 23, 2021

Who Could Not Love That Mug?

 My art buddy, Jo, asked me to post some of my mugs. We recently took these cups to Viridian Coffee to sell. When we glaze them, we are never sure how they will turn out. Glaze combinations are fascinating and frustrating. We spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking at other people's glaze combinations. We buy all sorts of glazes to try. Then we just go for it. I take pictures of the mugs when I glaze them and write down the glaze combination. Then when they come out of the kiln, I try to match them up with their before photo to see how the after turned out. Sometimes we hit a winner and sometimes not, but you never know what other people might like. 

My favorite glaze is from Coyote Glazes in Albuquerque. Gun Metal Green is awesome, but it runs a lot - meaning that sometimes it runs off the cup and onto the kiln and then the cup is stuck to the kiln and usually ruined. I have to be careful not to get too much glaze on the mug. This time, I got too little. Here are a couple of mugs with GMG and another Coyote glaze, Red Gold.

You can see that I got too thin on my glaze.
Toby's mug turned out very well with Red gold all over and just the top rim of GMG.
Here is a mug with a GMG rim over Pam's Green. Another favorite is an Amaco glaze called Ancient Jasper. It is similar to Red Gold and very versital. These two mugs have AJ with another Amaco glaze called Smokey Merlot - one has AJ under SM and vise-versa.

Here is a mug with one of my favorites Amaco Red Fire Brick  and Blue Rutile with a AJ band.
 
Here is one where I put bands of several different glazes. I kind of like this one.Here is one where I took two colors that usually work well and put them together thinking they would be awesome.

They are okay, but not great. We can use this one, but sometimes, we try something new and get total yuck. I have those saved for anyone who wants them or for target practice.

5 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Target practice, indeed!
I like the mugs, all of them. You know I’m a mug-a-holic. (spell check changed holic to colic) Fun to see your work and know that you are potting together. Always good to try new things.

We actually got out to dinner with friends. Small town, Winchester, with no masks! We have a bunch of check ups in two weeks and hopefully then we can run around a bit. Maybe head north??

Longhorn baseball was at Stillwater this past weekend. We haven’t gone to the games, long story about seating.

Hugs...

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
I haven't shot any mugs yet, but I think they would shatter well. I have all the "seconds" sitting on shelves - free to anyone who wants them.

We have been getting the Casita camper ready. We are wanting to hit the road sometime soon. Maybe head south. Well, we will probably go somewhere nearby first to work the kinks out before we get too far from home.

Jo Castillo said...

Getting the kinks out sounds good. Our spare room is always available. Ha.

Hope you get to try the Casita soon. We passed one the other day and I told Gene it could have been you.

See you fairly soon I hope....

Etienne said...

A friend was stationed at a remote radar site in Alaska and whenever his clay project didn't work out, he hit it with his fist, and said "another ash tray" and put it in the kiln.

Back when smoking was popular...

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
I have lots of little bowls that started out big and got smaller an smaller as I messed things up. I should have made ashtrays.