Thursday, June 30, 2022

 Yesterday I did my last CTAC meeting as the president. I still have a couple of years to serve on the board, but at least I will not have as much responsibility. Yay! During one part of the meeting, we discussed by-laws. The by-laws used to say we had to have a minimum of nine people on the board, but at some point in the past, the board lowered that to five people. Our director wanted to take the number back up to nine. Right now, we only have eight board members. I brought up the fact that if we vote to move the number back up to nine, we will be breaking our own by-laws. Everyone assured me that it was okay - it didn't matter as long as we were looking to add another member. Really? So what the heck difference does it make if we change the by-laws or not change them. It is not as though we are going to be thrown into by-law jail. Just my thoughts.

We have been home a week, since our little trip out West. The weather was stinkin' hot when we first got back, but then it cooled off on Sunday, and that lasted through Tuesday. Then it got hot again. I may melt. We got a text from the electric company asking people to not use so much electricity (air conditioners) in the afternoons especially, because they were having trouble meeting the needs. So, what would happen if we all had electric cars? Would that send the electric companies over the edge; could they make enough to meet the needs in the heat of the summer? How about the freezing months of winter, if we had to go all electric? Sometimes when the house is too warm, I am tempted to get in the car and drive around using the car's air conditioner. Well, maybe not this year.

Of course, I was doing a pile of laundry when Toby got the text from the electric company. He said that I should hang the clothes on the line rather than using the dryer. I may have snarled at him. Truthfully, I don't mind hanging clothes on the line, but I am picky about it. There are certain clothes that I do not hang on the line - underwear, socks, and his dress/work shirts. I explained this to him, "There is no way I am ironing your shirts, which takes up electricity, too!" So I compromised and hung out my usual towels and jeans, but this time I added t-shirts. He helped me :)

Back in the 70's there were lots of new condominiums built in Red River, NM. Builders put in baseboard electric heaters, because they were cheap to install (but not cheap to run). Every Christmas through New Years when the town filled with skiers and families for the holidays, the electricity would go out on on Christmas Eve and many of the other days during that week. All those skiers got off the slopes and hit the showers and turned up the heaters and turned on their blow-dryers, while restaurants were seating people for dinner all about the same time - it caused an overload every year. I believe they finally did something to fix the problem, but it was an every-year occurrence. Who knew "occurrence" had two r's in it? 

We did some babysitting on Tuesday. Lindsay and Shay were out of town. I kept the babies from 6 AM to 8 PM and was worn out, but it was fun.




2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Ha! Our by laws get changed about every 3 or 4 years. But they do give 30 days notice, post the changes and have a vote. I’ve never seen the changes not pass, but we all feel good because we voted. They had a money problem a few years ago and money was not used in the correct non-profit way so to avoid losing their non=profit they had to get some non-artists and business savvy folks on the board. Another by law change. ha. I stay out of it. I have not voted in about 10 years.

Happy times with the grands. Hard but fun. We are well past that now. Joanna will be 59 on Monday. Yikes! Our grandkids are 33 and 37. Yikes! I hadn’t looked at those numbers in a while.

Hope you have a Happy Independence Day. Stay cool. Sooooo hot. Hugs.

Etienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.