Monday, April 25, 2005

Funny things

I have heard people say that they would probably get a divorce if they had to work with their spouses on this or that - like building a house. Even Toby and I have our moments, but for the most part we do very well together on making decisions and building the house. One of the things I love about Toby is his sense of humor. He laughs at my silly jokes and my smart-aleck answers. Setting the windows and getting them level was a particularly trying time. Toby was getting a little impatient and irritated with one window and me, and he let me know about it. I was standing inside holding the window which ever way he told me, and he was outside with the level and hammer and nails. When we finally got the window nailed in place, he said, "Are you happy now?" The smartmouth in me answered, "You mean with this window or my marriage?" Toby hooted with laughter. That is why I love him. Later when we got home, there was a message on the recorder from some unidentifiable woman (girl). She sounded very young, and she said something that sounded like, "Toby, call me back at this number." We could not figure out who it was or what they were saying exactally, and there was no number to call back. I played the message over and over trying to hear it better and giving Toby "the questioning eye" since it was a girl's voice. Finally, Jesse said, "Dad, I think you need to get a smarter mistress." We all hooted.

One little note on the lumberyard story - We went to put the doors in place on Saturday evening. The right hand door went in easily. When we got ready for the left hand door, it turns out it was not a left had door, but a right hand door. After all of the hassle, the guy brought me the wrong door! Why didn't I check it out before I left the store? What made me think he knew what he was doing? We had to make another trip to Lawton and the lumberyard where this time they they made Toby as crazy as they made me. This time though, I got breakfast at IHOP with the man I love.

No comments: