Saturday, May 07, 2005

Saturday

Sometimes on Saturdays Toby and I like to get up early and sneak off to have breakfast together. Our children caught on, and now they like to go too. That is not so bad, but it just takes longer (like dragging a dead pig) to get everybody moving. This morning will be different. Virginia's funeral is this morning at 10:00. I am glad to know that Virginia is out of pain, and that she does not have to be in a resthome any longer. Come Monday, though, when I go to town and do not get to swing by and visit with her, I am afraid I will be very sad. It makes me wish the last few weeks had not been so busy, so that I could have vistited with Virginia more.

Isn't that always the way it goes? I once told someone that we should live our lives in a way that we have no regrets. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer three years ago, I decided to try and do things in a way that I knew I could live with my choices later. People would ask me if they should come see my dad. I would think, "Can you live with yourself later, if you don't?" As for Virginia, I think I can live with myself, but I will miss our visits and would like to have had more of them. I miss my friend Lynda, and I miss my friend Bruce. It should make us more aware of our time with each other, but it doesn't always work that way. I am thankful for the time I had with Virginia. I am thankful for the time with my dad. And I am thankful for my friends.

No comments: