Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hockey

After supper, Toby asked what I wanted to do that evening. I said, "I have to watch hockey so that I can tell Buck that I did it." And so, we watched the Stanley Cup final game from beginning to end. I have to admit it was intense, and I really enjoyed the game. Although I have not seen a lot of hockey (being a Texas girl), I have never seen two teams play harder than last night’s game. There was no reading a book or playing crossword puzzles while the game was going on. If you looked away for just a second, you missed lots of action. Yeah, I could get into that sort of thing. Thanks Buck, for a great night of entertainment.

I am a little worried that I am beginning to speak and think of my favorite bloggers as people I know well. I find myself quoting someone or repeating their opinion as if I speak with them personally. I have to go to certain blogs and check on everyone daily. It reminds me of when I read Tommy Frank’s book, "American Soldier". After finishing the book, I felt like I knew the man fairly well (isn’t that part of the purpose of writing the book?). A few weeks later I saw where he was going to be in Lawton for a book signing at WalMart. I had to go. I had to meet Mr. Franks in person. I stood in line for over an hour. When I finally got up to where he and his wife were signing books, I realized that everything I had thought of to say sounded just stupid. Of course, we were being rushed at that point, and maybe I was a little awe struck, but mostly I realized that although I knew him well, he did not know me at all. It makes for a one-sided friendship, which is no real friendship at all.

As for my favorite blogs, I do realize that as I read them and comment, they read my blog (some of them anyway) and comment and we have a fairly good friendship. Yet, it is a whole new level of friends. Net-friends. I like it. But I do have to remind myself that not everyone cares to be net-friends. Just because I read their blogs, does not mean I really know them or that they want to know me. And there are those things that I withhold from writing so that I do not "freak people out" or lose friends. Maybe that is the way of all friendships.

3 comments:

Becky G said...

I am a little worried that I am beginning to speak and think of my favorite bloggers as people I know well. I find myself quoting someone or repeating their opinion as if I speak with them personally. I have to go to certain blogs and check on everyone daily.

You are not alone in this. I do the same thing!

Buck said...

Me three. And I DO consider all y'all my friends, in every sense of the word. Ain't technology grand!

And about that hockey game! Son Number One and I were on the phone at least five times during and after the game. It WAS a good, no GREAT, game! SN1 called about four minutes into the first period just to tell me he thought the pace was frantic and unsustainable... well, as we both know, he was wrong.

I'm a little upset NBC cut away before all the victory laps were taken and the fact more interviews weren't done. We also missed the post-game press conferences. {sigh} I suppose I'm nit-picking; I should be glad a major network picked up the game and broadcasted it, even though hockey's ratings have been historically abysmal.

I'm glad you got the chance to watch, Lou! And the fact you blogged about it!

Anonymous said...

It is a lot like "real life", there are those you click with right away, there are those who are more like acquaintances, there's the friend of a friend thing, and then there are those you might talk to in passing, but unless the other person continues the dialogue then the relationship never really gets off the ground.