Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Jesse was suppose to go to Grand Lake with her buddy, Lindsay for the 4th, but last Friday night she began to feel sick. Sure enough, she had a 24-hour bug. She had to cancel her trip. By Saturday night she was feeling better, but now she was stuck at home with Toby and me who had no plans for the 4th of July. Toby, Bo and I played golf of Saturday evening. Jesse joined us for the eighteenth hole, and then we went to Braum’s for a burger and shake. As you can tell, we are an exciting group. Sunday afternoon, I played racket ball with her. Then she joined some friends at the drive-in picture show in Chickasha. Yep, there is still a drive-in movie, and the kids thought it would be a big deal to go to the drive-in. Toby and I took the Grandbaby to Kiddieland to ride the carousel (that is a whole story in itself that I will save for later). Monday evening we had Bo, Sara, and the Grandbaby over to cook steaks out on the grill. The Grandbaby was our entertainment. On Tuesday morning we got up and packed snacks and drinks, kayaks and paddles, and headed over to Ft. Sill to a small lake there. It turned out to be perfect. We were able to get a campsite near the water. In fact there were not many people there. It is a no-wake lake with a great area for swimming. The water was clear and calm. The weather was cool, and later rained, but for us, it was great. When we got home, we were worn out and took big-dog naps. We topped our evening off with a movie on TV. It was not the holiday that Jesse was expecting, but it was not bad. I hated that she was sick, but I really liked having her around to do things with us.

There was one funny thing that happened on the morning of the 4th while we were driving to the lake. We were listening to some country radio station. Actually Jesse was sitting in the front seat of the truck with us being in charge of quality radio music when she came across this conversation:

Truck driver with a Texas twang: I’m a driver for Wal-Mart. Would you play Lee Greenwood’s "God Bless the USA? I am about to be out of your radio range – so could you play it soon?

Disk Jockey: Sure, but do you think my bosses will be upset with me if I play it twice on my shift?"

TD: If they have any problems, just tell them to call me at Wal-Mart, and I will take care of it for you!

DJ: Sure; I will play it next.

TD: Thank you and God bless you! And God bless America!

DJ: God bless you too, and God bless Texas and Oklahoma!

TD: God bless Delaware!

DJ: God bless Minnesota!

At this point, both were laughing and calling out states. The DJ finally moved on to the song, but we got a real kick out of it.

No comments: