Monday, August 28, 2006

Good News - Bad News

Toby loves to play the "good news – bad news" game. He comes in and says, "Do you want the good news or the bad news?" I have come to know that most of the time he has only bad news, but will make up something for the good news. It is usually something funny, but knowing that the bad news is the real news, I usually say that I want the bad news first. Years ago when we were in the process of moving from one town to another, he was bringing the last load of things in his truck. I was at the new house setting things up and unpacking. He came in and said, "Do you want the good news or the bad news?" I said, "Give me the bad news first." He said, "While I was driving down the highway at 65 mph, the rabbit hutch fell over and the rabbits flew out onto the road. They were pretty bad off, so I had to put them out of their misery." With a look of utter horror on my face, I said, "Oh my gosh! That is horrible! What is the good news?" Without missing a beat, he said, "We are having rabbit for dinner." Of course, he was teasing!

Good news! We got some much-needed rain this weekend. Bad news! The mosquitoes are out in force. The ticks and other Okie critters are enjoying the rain too. Good news! Jesse and her buddies drove to Edmond to eat German food and attend Shakespeare in the Park. Bad news! It got rained out. They went to the cheap movies and watched "Cars" instead. Good news! It rained some more Sunday morning before church. Bad news! It was like walking around in a steam room after church when the sun came out. Good news! It rained enough that there were actually mud puddles in the church parking lot. Bad news! The Grand Baby likes to step in them, and she is fast.

We are pretty laid back on Sunday afternoons. We usually eat a light meal, play with the Grand Baby, take naps, and watch a little sports on TV. I rarely cook on Sunday nights – everyone just snacks. Yesterday evening, while Toby and I went for a walk on our trail, Jesse cooked noodles with a homemade Alfredo sauce topped with shrimp scampi – yum! She had garlic bread and wine with her wonderful meal. That was Good New. I can’t really think of any bad news to go with it. I was even content to watch more pre-season football.

No comments: