Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Lost Post, Lost Friend

My morning was spent in the usual way - catching up on my blog reading and typing out today's post. I was almost finished when the storm hit. Right as I thought, "Gee, I better save this." Crack! And the electricity blinked. The rain poured out of the sky. I lost my whole post. I am sure it was the best I have ever written, but it is gone. Now the day has begun and art class is coming up. Maybe I will try again later. Maybe I will kick myself again. At least we got another good rain, but we've been getting lots of rain lately. And the wind...Aieee (as Buck would say).

I will tell you that yesterday we went to The City because Toby had a dr's appointment. After the appointment, we went shopping. Toby needed new "girl britches". He got four new pair of trousers and two new shirts. Hey, isn't Mother's Day coming up? We met Bo, Sara, the Wild Thing, and Sweet Nell for supper. It was a good trip. On the way home, we were listening to Oldies when we heard Janice Joplin sing "Me and Bobby McGee"(one of my favorites). It reminded me an old friend, Susie McHand. First, it reminded me of Susie because she told me once that she had skipped school to attend a Janice Joplin concert. Second, it reminded me of Susie because like the song somewhere along the way, I let Susie slip away. She was a good friend and we had some good times, but I lost track of her - something I regret. When I have more time, I will tell you some "Susie Stories". I like to think that I was a mountain woman, but Susie was the real thing. Intrigued?

7 comments:

Buck said...

Intrigued?

You BETCHA!!! :-)

Re: losing your post in the storm. I've lost stuff, too, and I really DO hate it when that happens!! (But especially while at work...)

Catherine MacDermott said...

I saw Janice Joplin in concert just before she died...wow, what a blast of energy she shot out that night! She was my second concert ever (first was Led Zeppelin with Jethro Tull opening) and I was convinced my attendance had brought her bad luck so I didn't attend another concert for years! What crazy things we think of as 16 year olds. What/Who was your first concert? Thanks for the blast from the past memory, Lou.

Bag Blog said...

I went to see John Denver with Craig when I was a freshman in high school. I think it irritated Craig that I laughed and had such fun (looking stupid as you know). I saw Blood, Sweat and Tears with a very boring date my sophomore year. I went to Dallas by myself my sr. year to see Ray Wylie and some others. Not having ever been to an outdoor concert, we did not take "refreshments" but some frat guys were willing to share their beer. It was hot that day and after drinking several cokes (which did not hit the spot) that was the best beer I think I ever had. Later that year, I got to see Willie Nelson - he put on a great show. Such was life in WF - not too exciting. Maybe that is why I am so impressed with seeing Janice Joplin.

Becky G said...

Intrigued?

Definitely! Do tell...

Buck said...

Catherine asks: What/Who was your first concert?

So...I'm having a hard time remembering just who I saw when, having just poured my second cup and not being fully-caffeinated ...yet. But, if memory serves me well, I think it was Dick Dale, sometime in 1961 or 1962. But it coulda been the Beach Boys, too, as that was the "surf music" period of my life. Whatever. It was definitely in SoCal...which was a great place to be a teen-ager in. Then. Not now.

Bag Blog said...

I love it! I can just see Buck as a surfer dude. I bet those were great days. It seems that most of your days have been great.

Buck said...

I can just see Buck as a surfer dude.

LOL! You hadda BE there, I suppose. There were basically three sub-cultures in the high school environment at the time...surfers, Ho-Dads, and Jocks...and lotsa variations on those themes.

I googled "Ho-Dads" to try and find a suitable link, but after going six pages deep decided there just wasn't one...which I find kinda strange. Shorter explanation: when you see "Ho-Dad," think "Fonzie." "Jocks" needs no explanation, of course, except to say that was never me. Ergo: surfer.

Anyway...it was what it was. And the beach was where it was...at that time, anyway.