Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Who's the Big Dog Now


I got Zoe on Mother's Day of this year. My how things change! She still thinks she is a little lap dog (notice her back paws in the photo) which causes some problems with the real lap dog. Ranger the Rat will play with her, but sometimes, Zoe steps on him or is a little rough. Then he has to give her the what-for. Rita, the cow-dog is not nearly so patient with Zoe. Rita is the queen of mean and high dog on the chain of command. She has been putting Zoe in her place lately herding her around, stalking her, not letting Zoe get any love from the art girls. While on a walk the other day, Zoe did a high hurdle over Rita while chasing Ranger. It was a big mistake. Rita took the big dog down and chewed (literally) her out letting Zoe know who the real big dog was. Fortunately, Zoe has a great attitude about it all. She is loving and easy going. It is her tail that is a killer. Her bark is huge and will send shivers down your spine - just ask the cable guy, but she is a baby and is still a bit of a chicken heart. That is okay with me. I want a dog to look scary and tough, but not be aggressive and mean. Zoe is not aggressive, but she is impressive.


Yesterday, Ranger, Zoe and I made a trip to the vet. The ride in the cab of the truck was interesting. Zoe actually did very well, but she did sit on me at one point. It was when she sat on Ranger that we had a bit of a struggle. I wondered if it was against the law to drive with a Great Dane sitting in your lap, and why didn't I train her to ride in the bed of the truck.

8 comments:

Buck said...

Having had a Great Dane in the past, I'm sitting here trying to visualize you, Zoe, AND Ranger in the cab of your truck... and I cannot!

We "inherited" our Great Dane...and he wasn't with us long, unfortunately. TSMP worked with a pet rescue organization while we were in OKC and took in Bonzo (our Dane) rather than have him put down. But Bonzo was only with us about six months...we found out he had advanced heartworm that was beyond treatment, so we had to put him down. Not good.

Anyway... Our vet was about two miles up the road from us, and TSMP had to walk Bonzo to the vet because he simply didn't fit in either of our vehicles at the time. And she tried to get him in, too. It was pretty comical to watch (before we found out about the heartworm), but 'tis another story, that!

Bag Blog said...

Buck, I kept visualizing me and the dogs in the bar ditch. That image kept me sober and alert, but I still got tickled at the real sight we made.

Your Bonzo story is very sad. Sometimes pure-bred dogs just do not have the stamina that mutts tend to have. We had to have our German Shepard put down due to "tick fever" after moving here. Very sad.

Shelly said...

Lou,

Me having lap dogs, this made me laugh. I will no longer whine when my little ones get in my lap and I whine that they are to big..

Anonymous said...

That photo of you, Zoe, and Ranger is so funny. Chandler sits in my lap it makes me laugh because my 95 pound pit bull is a lap dog.

Becky G said...

That is great! I had a 95 lb lap dog once. He was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He died 2 years ago from complications of canine diabetes. He was my baby. I still miss him.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

We have a 60 lb. lapdog boxer. If he pees on the carpet again, he's going to come down with a high velocity hollow pointed terminal infection.

Bag Blog said...

TFNP, We call that the "special shot" for dog problems.

Jenny said...

I wish I could have a lap dog in the house. My husband said no way. But in the yard, my lap is where my German Shephard gets. LOL!

Zoe is a cutie. I love Great Danes.