Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cleaning Day

Every morning this week I have gotten up and headed off to town on all day errands, and the cleaning fairies have not been to my house once. Today is art, and lots of ladies are coming over. It looks like I am going to have to do some cleaning this morning since those fairies have been a no-show. I don’t really have any news anyway, and I left my camera at the GG’s house yesterday. I did take lots of pictures of the GGs in the $7.50 kiddy pool that I bought for them. It kept them entertained for hours. We also got a few watercolors done. I will try to post photos later.

My messy house did bring back an old memory. My freshman year at Texas Tech, I had this great roommate, LeAnn. She was a "luck of the draw" roommate and not someone I had already known. Boy, was I lucky – she was wonderful. LeAnn stood 5’12" in her stocking feet and was 6’2" with shoes. Since I am barely 5’2", we looked like Mutt and Jeff together, but we got along great. The memory was of mid-term finals. Both LeAnn and I had let our room go during finals. We had done no cleaning for a while and neither of us was especially a neat-freak. It got to the point where there was just a single path down the middle of the room – you had to pick your way through the mess to get to the beds or desks. I was sitting on the floor propped up against the bed studying. LeAnn was sitting at her desk studying and eating a banana. When she finished her banana, she hauled off and threw the peel across the room at the trashcan. The peel missed the trash and landed in the floor. Both of us looked at the peel on the floor. Then we looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and continued studying – leaving the banana peel in the floor. It was one of those moments that was really funny, and we were so in tune with each other. The messy room did not bother either one of us – I loved that girl!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Isn't it amazing how when you are not home, the home gets messy? I mean, who exactly is there messing it up? I've yet to find the culprit at my house, but when I do...

Inquiries said...

Oh man I would have been a crazy person!
You know what a freak I am about stuff like that! LOL.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

So...if she was 5'12" socked...wouldn't she have been 5'14" shoed?

Bag Blog said...

Piper, wouldn't that be "shod"?

Knit and fall back in it said...

I haven't seen the cleaning fairies lately either. They sure haven't been at my house. If you see them, have them give me a call, OK?

Buck said...

I'm a bit of a neat freak; I think I get it from my parents (first) and the military (second, re-enforcement & "enhancement" on what Mom and Dad taught me). You and I wouldn't have made good roomies, Lou.

One good roommate story deserves another, eh? My last roomie and I shared the house TSMP and I would live in once we married. That house had a sort of open floor plan, in that the kitchen, dining area, and living room were all in the same space. Our trash can was in the kitchen and was about 25 feet or so from the couch and chairs in the living room. My roomie and I were too lazy to get up off our asses and walk over to the trash can to deposit empty beer bottles, so we would simply throw them across the room towards the trash. You got points if your bottle went IN the trash, and we kept a running score. Somewhere about a month or so into "the game" we figured out we could hit at least 75% of our shots if we banked the bottles off the ceiling. That lil trick left "beer tracks" on the ceiling, but Chip (roomie) and I never really noticed. Or cared.

So... fast forward to the first weekend after TSMP and I were married and were getting settled in. She looked up at the ceiling one Saturday morning and asked "What are all those streaks on the ceiling?" So, I showed her how they got there, much to her horror. And then spent the next four hours or so painting the ceiling, under her direct supervision. I never threw another bottle at the trash from that point forward...

Bag Blog said...

Buck, banking off the ceiling would have really been something impressive. I can't understand why TSMP did not appreciate it.