Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Time Flies

We were supposed to ride our bikes last night with the Leinz family, but it was windy as all get out (I’m not sure what that means, but it is something Okies and Texans have been saying for a long time). The temps have dropped into the 80’s today thanks to Gustav sucking a cold front down on us. I’m not sure I would have ridden anyway, since I have a bit of an end-of-the-summer cold. It seems to be something going around.

One of the great things about being married to Toby is that he is full of surprises. So many times, we work and think on a plan, and then at the last minute do something totally different. We have been thinking that we would head east on our vacation next week, but now it seems that we may go west after all. I told him that I do not care where we go, but I do want to be able to wear my new sweater (bought on sale at Eddie Bauer). His one stipulation is that we do not spend long periods of time in the car. I will let you know what we decide when it happens – because it may change several times before the weekend, which is when our vacation starts.

Jesse will not be with us on this vacation since she has used most of her vacation time and is saving the rest for Lindz’ wedding. I’m feeling a bit like an empty nester although she still lives at home. We tend to just pass each other in the kitchen. Sometimes we see her before bedtime, and we catch up on each other’s lives. The other night, she rode her motorcycle to the Johnson’s volleyball party because her car was "driving funny." The Johnson’s live way out in the boonies and she was low on gas and it was after dark before we left for home. It made me crazy to think of her riding her bike down some gravel roads, in the dark, low on gas, with some open range areas to ride through on the way to town. I wanted to follow her into town. She wanted us to go on. I wanted her to get over it. We compromised by driving on, but keeping her headlight in our rearview mirror. Jeeze, can’t she just let me be mother for a little while longer? She had a good time in Austin last weekend as far as I can tell. She was not impressed with Ray Wylie’s music, but she loved his stories. She enjoyed the Austin atmosphere – beer garden – outdoor music – Town Lake – etc. She posted a few pics on her blog.

Jerry Reed died a few days ago. I got this link from Lt. Nixon. I was always a big Jerry Reed fan. He was entertaining to say the least. It does make me feel old that I was a fan and that he was 71. Where does the time go?

7 comments:

Buck said...

It looks and sounds like y'all do vacations in the same sort of manner TSMP and I used to do vacations. That is: develop a "general idea" and then just HIT IT! There were exceptions to this rule, but not all that many.

As far as Jess being low on gas, in the dark, on a gravel road... I'm with you. As a matter of fact, I'd have asked for you to hang close, just in case I ran out. Been there, done that. Riding beats walking, every time... but most especially at night.

Bag Blog said...

Buck, right now, I am not even sure about the general direction, but we may be stopping by to see you - it is between you, if we go west, and Dale, if we go east.

MezzoCO said...

Sometimes it's hard for us kiddos to realize that...well...we will always be someone's "baby girl" :)

Becky G said...

I didn't know that Jerry Reed had died. I wasn't that big a fan, but I liked some of his music.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

man...cut the cord already!

"patches...i'm dependin' on ya son, to pull tha family thru'u..." ok not one of Jerry's greatest achievements.

Bag Blog said...

Piper, I don't think Jerry Reed did "Patches."

Buck said...

but we may be stopping by to see you - it is between you, if we go west

Cool!!!