Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mr Murphy

I should have seen it coming. I should have known. Murphy (of the infamous Murphy’s Law) came calling this morning. I should have known he would show his ugly face, because Toby is out of town. It never fails that something will go wrong while Toby is gone.

Jesse headed off to work as usual this morning, but called me a few minutes later to say that she had a flat tire. We have had lessons on changing tires, but I don’t think she has ever actually had to do it all on her own and certainly not in the dark. Of course, I am still in my pink robe, but I told her that I would throw on some clothes and be there ASAP. As I am walking out the door, she called to remind me to bring a flashlight. Got it already and I’m on my way ('cause I am fast and smart). I decide to take my Toyota thinking that her Scion is also a Toyota and the tools may be interchangeable if we need something. I throw the flashlights into the Toyota, which is parked under the carport, and jump in to start it. The battery is dead. You’re kidding! I grab the flashlights and move them over to the truck when I realize that there is a nice layer of frost on the windshield because it was not parked under the carport. Augh! It will take me longer because I have to scrape ice. I started the truck and cranked up the defroster. Then I started looking for a scraper amidst the junk under the truck seat. I gave up quickly and came back into the house to find a scraper. I also dug through the glove/hat basket because my hands were cold. I called Jesse and said I was coming, but having problems. We decided it would be good to call one of her male coworkers in the meantime – just in case. I grabbed a plastic teacup (one of GBN1’s toys) which makes a good ice scraper and went back outside. I scraped off enough ice to get going and let the defroster do the rest of the job while I drove down the highway. As I pulled up behind Jesse and put on my hazard lights (tragedy lights as Jesse used to call them) I noticed that our neighbor and good friend was already there and helping Jesse, but he had no light. It was a good thing that I had brought the flashlights. He had the tire changed in no time. I started looking for my phone since Toby usually calls me first thing in the mornings when he is out of town. I thought my phone was in the truck, because it was not in my pocket. I couldn’t find it. I had Jesse call me so I could follow the sound. No luck. I figured that I had either dropped it in the yard while scraping ice, or left it in the house while looking for gloves, or someone came in while I wasn’t looking and took it (old family joke). I left Jesse with instructions to try and call me later so I could find my phone. As I drove home, I was thinking of all the things I was going to do today, but the dead battery in the Toyota was a problem. Plus, yesterday we had three truckloads of gravel put down the middle of our driveway. Anyone coming to the house (like all my art students) would have to drive through the pasture – surely they will figure that out. I should call them, but I can’t find my phone. I can’t call myself to find tmy phone. It reminded me of this Shel Silverstein poem.

Loser
Mama said I'd lose my headIf it wasn't fastened on.
Today I guess it wasn't
'Cause while playing with my cousin
It fell off and rolled away
And now its gone.
And I can't look for it
'Cause my eyes are in it,
And I can't call to it
'Cause my mouth is on it
(Couldn't hear me anyway'Cause my ears are on it),
Can't even think about it
'Cause my brain is in it.
So I guess I'll sit down
On this rock
And rest for just a minute....


7 comments:

Jenny said...

My daughter recited that poem at a school thing last year. She used a dummy head used for EMT training to sit on.

Anonymous said...

I left my phone on the hood of my car yesterday while playing soccer. Then I forgot about it and drove off. Got home and then realized that I didn't have my phone. I drove back thinking the phone would be in the parking lot. Nope... It was in the middle of an intersection on the way...smashed to pieces. Don't bother calling me.

Bo

Buck said...

Some days you're just snake-bit. I hope you find your phone soon, Lou, and you don't find it in bits and pieces in an intersection! ;-)

Inquiries said...

Funny Poem. I hope you find your phone!!!!!!!!

MezzoCO said...

ACK! what a morning!

hope by now you've found your (intact) phone :)

Bag Blog said...

The lost phone was found under the seat in the truck covered by the odd assortment of junk that collects there.

So, Bo, do you need another "old" phone?

Alison said...

I laughed out loud when I read the poem Lou! I am swiping it and taking it to work with me!!! Thanks...

P.S. Glad you found your phone.... I HATE when I lose mine! What did we ever do before Cell Phones?