Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ballerinas


I'm off to paint with my art buddies today. Last weekend at the Arts for All Festival, Jesse and I took some photos of little ballerinas. I would like to paint them today, but we will see. As a young girl, I took ballet in Taos, NM, with a lady named Betty. Her home and dance studio was north of the blinking light out in the middle of the sagebrush. Betty was so tall that when she did a cartwheel with her arms and legs extended, she grazed the ceiling of her low-beamed adobe home/studio. Her studio windows overlooked Taos Mountain. With the windows on one side of the studio and mirrors on the other side, the effect was quite dramatic. I loved going to Betty's home and dancing with my friends.

6 comments:

Buck said...

"With the windows on one side of the studio and mirrors on the other side, the effect was quite dramatic."

I can ONLY imagine! Yet I can see that in my mind's eye. How cool.

That's quite the shot of the four ballerinas. One wonders if that's the brother of one of the dancers whose face we see peeking up over the floor...

Have fun today!

Becky G said...

My sister got to do ballet and acrobatics. I wanted to do gymnastics, but my mother wasn't willing to spend the money on me.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

where have i seen that mtn. pic before? anyway...would not we all like to have a studio that looks at a mountain?

Bag Blog said...

Buck, I had not noticed the brother peeking over the stage - pretty cute.

Becky, there is always time to fulfill dancing dreams - lots of women take ballet later in life.

Piper, keeping sight of the physical mountains is not as important to me as it once was, although I do love the mountains.

Becky G said...

Lou, thanks, but I don't think gymnastics at my age would be such a good idea! I have no desire to do ballet, though ballroom dancing does have a certain appeal.

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, such a cute photo, that will be a great painting!

Those Taos mountains are special.