Friday, December 17, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened at the Mailbox

Something funny happened to me yesterday, but I have to back up and do some background on the story. After working so hard on Wed doing stucco, which is hard work, and it eats your hands, I decided to do treat myself to something special. I went and had a manicure & pedicure. Most of you know that I do the pedicure thing every now and then, but I usually do not get a manicure. Manicures do not last – I’m much too hard on my hands. Paint sticks to the nail polish, and pottery just takes it off completely. The stucco is even worse. It takes the skin off. Right now would be the perfect time to commit a crime – I have no fingerprints. That reminds me of another story when Jesse was about nine years old. I took her and the youth minister’s wife shopping. Jesse whined and cried all day for a pair of white, lacy, Sunday gloves. I finally gave in and bought some for her. She immediately tore open the package and put them on. Holding her little gloved hands up and admiring them, she said, "Now I can steal something." The youth minister’s wife fell over laughing.

Back to my original story: The manicure/pedicure was good. They have new massage chairs that gave me a nice back rub while my feet were getting rubbed and fixed up. My hands feel much better and look good too. My toes are just down right sexy. Rather than take a chance on messing up my toenails, I wore my flip-flops afterwards. I met Toby for lunch, and he had the appropriate "Ooh baby" response to my sexy toes and nails, but he did question if my feet were freezing in the cold. I told him I was fine – that women were used to a little pain for beauty. After lunch I went by to visit the Junk Diva – great time there! She remarked on my flip-flops and cold weather, but understood. Then I headed home. As I have done a thousand times, I pulled up to our cattleguard and mailbox. Leaving the car running, I got out in my flip-flops to get the mail. As I walked around the car, I had that moments thought that my legs were sure stiff and sore from the stucco work. I got the mail, but when I went to get back in the car, the door was locked. Now how in the heck did I manage that? I NEVER lock the door unless I use the remote/key, and it was still in the ignition. I must have bumped the lock as I was getting out – how very odd! But there I was on the outside looking in. Not a problem – I would just have to walk the quarter mile up the gravel driveway to the house and get another key – in my flip-flops – in the cold – with my sore legs. I had thoughts like, "maybe I’ll call Jes, but my phone is in the car," and "I’ll put on my tennis shoes, but they are in the car," finally I just headed to the house leaving the car running at the gate. Which reminds me of another story…

14 comments:

Moogie P said...

Oh no!

But, I understand completely about the flip-flops/pedicure thing. I'm overdue myself.

No fingerprints. Heh.

Bag Blog said...

Moogie, it is good to know that there are others who understand.

And yes, now is the time to commit any major crimes.

Deb said...

I've never had a pedicure and don't really want a stranger messin' with the ten li'l piggies, thanks very much. As for flippies, I've never owned a pair; I'm more of a lace-up roper gal (and my feet are always cold). But I can definitely feel your pain!
I stopped one day at the local beer store with the dogs in the truck. As it was the middle of summer, I set the e-brake and left it running with the a/c on. I was standing in the store paying and when I looked out the front window I just caught Jazz's butt going out the passenger side window and before I could say 'Bob's your uncle' Niki followed her; Harley was trying to get between the seats and follow too. I told Lee that the dogs were out and spent the next 20 minutes having my very own dog-rodeo in the parking lot. I guess Jazz had stepped on the power window switch, and in GMs when you push it, it goes all the way down. Lesson learned.

Bag Blog said...

Deb, one of the best cowgirls I know wears flip-flopts constantly. I've even seen her wearing flip-flops while shoeing a horse. I almost said she was "shoeing a horse wearing flip-flops," but why would the horse be wearing flip-flops.

Your dog rodeo reminds me of the when the pigs got (years ago) and we had a pig rodeo with me trying to keep them off the highway and my husband trying to rope them and our three year old sitting on the propane tank cheering us on.

Buck said...

I'm sorta like Deb in that I no longer own flip-flops. But I wore 'em a lot back in my beach-goin' days.

I dunno how cold it was in Duncan yesterday, but it would be a SERIOUS act of sacrifice to be wearin' flip-flops in our WX today!

Rest up!

Dale said...

Sounds like a comedy of errors to me but I would love to see dem toes! LOL!!

Bag Blog said...

Buck, the weather was in the mid forties yesterday - lots of sunshine. If you think about it, women wear open toed shoes through out the winter - most fancy, dress-up shoes are open toed.

Dale, these piggies are too sexy for my shoes.

Junk Diva said...

BAWHA HA HA HA HA ..................

joyce said...

so you walked to your house in flip flops, and...? Did you have another set of keys? Did you have to call someone to help turn off your car? Oh, my. On a cool day, I guess there is no danger of the car overheating...but imagine if your husband or daughter or neighbor came upon your car and suspected foul play.

I have been known to wear sandals when in a hurry...but I have these fleece socks that I wear to bed. They are so warm and cozy.

Bag Blog said...

Joyce, I did have another key at the house. It was not too uncomfortable to walk on the gravel road in my flip-flpos. With the weather cool, I was not too worried about my car overheating. I doubt anyone would have worried about me if they had discovered the car without me - I was always insight of the car. Someone would just wondered why I had chosen to walk rather than drive.

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, my gosh! I love Jesse's glove story! Too cute!

I can't understand about flip flops, I'm with Deb on lace ups and boots. Cold feet!

But I do relate on the locking of the car. Mine was in Bolivia .. long story. :) I swear we are related.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
Jesse still says things that are surprising and funny.

Keep in mind that I am a mountain girl at heart - cold weather doesn't affect me.

Staci said...

I really don't like to wear shoes, period, but unfortunately they frown on the barefoot thing at work. :(

I'm ready to meet up at the Rink anytime you are! Or any of those other places you mentioned, there is never a bad time to gaze at old treasures and junk.

Bag Blog said...

Ooh Staci, I would love to meet up for a day of junking with you.