Friday, September 30, 2011

Explanation of Sorts

Years ago when we were working on our NM house, Toby's mom came for a visit. We were in the middle of putting in our counters and kitchen sink while she was there. Things were kind of a mess. She asked if we were sure we knew what we were doing. It could have been hurtful, if it were not so funny. A few months later she came back for a visit when the house was complete. She was very much impressed with what we had done.

Another time when we lived in a trailer house in RR, a friend came over for a visit. We had lived in that house for a number of years, but this particular friend had never been inside. As she walked in, she said, "Oh! This is very nice." as if she thought it was going to be some white-trash trailer house and she had been surprised. You'd have to have heard the inflection in her voice to really understand. Maybe because I am a jeans and T-shirt sort of gal, people think I have no taste.

Then I have had friends who when you tell them what your plans are on the house, they tell you all the downsides to it. The nay-sayers! I guess that is better than the ones who tell the downsides after the fact. Still, if you don't like it, I'd rather not hear about it.

One more story: Back in the day, a young friend of mine had just found out she was pregnant. She told me she and her husband had thought of this "great name that no one else had used," but that she did not what to tell the name for fear that someone would use it. So I said that she could tell me, 'cause I had my kids and was not having any more. Then in a little-girl-excited sort of way she said, "Aspen." Really! I replied, "Cindy Allen's cat is named Aspen." totally bursting her bubble. Jesse lectured me later - said I should have just remained quiet, but I thought she should know. And there is nothing wrong with naming your kid after a cat - it was a good cat.

So maybe I don't post more pics of my house because I don't want you to think I don't know what I'm doing. Or it could be that I don't want to hear the nay-sayers. Or maybe it is because I'm afraid someone will poopoo my plans. Mostly, I just want to wait until it all comes together and have one big ooh-ahh time. Then again, maybe I post one soon.

9 comments:

Buck said...

Nay-sayers? You actually HAVE nay-sayers where your house is concerned? This amazes me, Lou. But then again, people will be people... and people ain't uniformly good.

Apropos of not much... I lost a big part of my identity with this move of mine, you know? I used to take a great deal of pleasure out of telling people I lived in Beautiful La Hacienda Trailer Park, just to see what sort of reaction I'd get (and there was no small amount of reverse-snobbery involved, too). I can't do that any longer and it kinda bugs me.

Bag Blog said...

Buck,
I understand about the identity part. Toby used to tell people he was a trash man. Talk about reactions! It is kind of funny that now he can say that he works for Halliburton, and they assume he is an oilfield hand. Around here that is not such a bad job to have, so there is no "reaction" - well, not until later when they find out he is an accountant who works in an office. Then he gets a reaction as if they can't believe he is smart enough to be an accountant.

Deb said...

Post your pics gal, don't let anyone rain on your parade and inquiring minds want to know. It's going to be glorious.

Moogie P said...

I'm with Deb. I love seeing the progress at your place!

joyce said...

I'm with Deb and Moogie. We promise not to say anything negative. You have worked so hard. How about before and after pictures. the before would be just the ground ! you have made an addition to your house from bare earth! celebrate!

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, ladies, you made my day. Expect pics soon.

Jo Castillo said...

I imagine your house as fabulous. It will be so you and I think you are fabulous. Woo hoo!

Catherine said...

Personally, I enjoy seeing the progress and am darn envious of yours and Tobi's skills, gifts, talents, and pizzaz! So please....post away! AND, when it's all said and done, I'm really excited about the housewarming party on the horizon!

Bag Blog said...

Catherine,
Pizzaz? Ya think? Coming from you, that is quite a compliment. I look forward to the housewarming party too.

Jo,
You and Gene can come too, and stay if you need :)