Wednesday, November 16, 2011


My mom had a doctor's appointment in WF yesterday, so I went over early and stayed late. Since August Mom has been having some health issues, but I think the doctor has them lined out now. At 80 years old, it takes a while to bounce back after a serious illness. Her illness started with sore, achy muscles. Then her sodium levels went haywire and things went downhill. Because my mom has always been so healthy and spry and active, this took us all by surprise - especially her. She wants things to be fixed, but deteriorated muscles just don't fix so easily. The good news is that she is improving. Yesterday, I dragged her all over WF running errands with me. She did well - laughing when I got going a bit too fast with the cart at Sam's causing her to have to run to keep up. So much better than a month ago! I thought it was a good day.

I also stopped by to see Toby's mom. She is doing well too. We drank tea and visited. She laughed and giggled at things I said - she asked me to bring her Christmas tree from storage, but not to be in a hurry about it. I asked if she would like it before Christmas - heh. She told me that she thought my shirt was very nice, and she hugged me and told me she loved me when I left. I really needed and appreciated that.

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I bought a small turkey for frying. I bought a second one for the freezer. I made a quick stop at Hobby Lobby to get art paper for my art girls. Then I scooted on home to pick up Toby since he put his car in the shop to have some work done on it. Later in the evening, we baked cookies in our new stove. They turned out yummy. Jesse posted a picture of us eating in the new room - still no tile, but I'm hopeful. She also posted a pic of Nacho, the pony. Jes is doing well, but is busy with school and art. Before I left town, Jes got a call that someone she knew had committed suicide. It really rattled her - as it would anyone. Suicide is such a horrible thing causing such different grief, anger, hurt, and all sorts of emotions I just can't explain. Jesse dealt with those emotions like big girl. I just hate it that she had to deal with such stuff.

Anyway, I have another busy day today - better get myself going.


Andy said...

Lou, the new room looks just fabulous! Really! I know y'all are proud to be getting things in order.

Excellent work.

My oldest son (now 31) was in the house of a friend when he committed suicide about 5 years ago. Dean was in the bedroom talking to him...trying to get him to put the gun down. Another friend had called the Sheriff's Department.

When the deputies knocked on the door, Dean stepped into the hallway for just a second or two. He heard the pistol fire.

At least his friend waited until Dean wouldn't see it. But, it still haunts him. "What could I have done? What could I have said?" He knows it wasn't his fault. But...

Ya' know...junk like that is hard to get past.

Moogie P said...

I'm jealous of your time with the mothers. Enjoy them. And, so sorry about Jesse's friend. Suicide does indeed leave behind a different kind of grief.

Buck said...

You're such a good daughter/DIL! It's good to hear Mom is doin' better; tell her I said to hang in there, please! Old age just ain't for sissies. Don't ask me how I know...

I'm sorry to hear about Jesse's friend, and I know all about the suicide grief thang. It's ugly.

wv: cathola. An automated catheter dispenser, seen in all the most advanced medical establishments.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks for sharing. To be with someone and have them commit suicide would really be tough. I'm sorry that it happened to your son. I hope time heals that wound.

Time with the mothers can be great, but it can be tiring some days. Yesterday happened to be a great day.

I don't know if I'm such a good daughter. I like being a DIL, better.

"Cathola" - you get all the good words!

Becky said...

I was still in high school when an acquaintance committed suicide. It's been 30 years, but I still wonder if I had been a better friend, would she have spared her life.

About 4 years ago, a co-worker committed suicide. It doesn't get any easier as you get older.