Sunday, November 27, 2011

Second Thanksgiving

Move over Martha Stewart. Jesse, Toby, and I put on a second little Thanksgiving here at the Lazy B doing things a little differently- more spicy. After putting Cajun seasoning in and on the turkey and stuffing him with some apples and pears, we cooked the turkey in an oven bag in my new oven rather than frying. Rather than the usual dressing, we added green chilies, corn, and cilantro to spice it up. Jesse made some garlic mashed potatoes that were to die for - if you like garlic and butter. She also made a pear pie that was perfect. Then she and Lindz came up with a cranberry/jalapeno/cilantro salsa that was great with the other spicy dishes. We had a few left overs from the earlier Thanksgiving - like the corn dish my sister made with roasted green peppers and cream cheese. And of course there were pies left over. Shay and Lindz brought a great green bean casserole. Bo and his family along with Lindz and Shay joined us for this delicious meal. It was another great Thanksgiving.
The GGs were entertaining. GBN2 told me she was drinking wine then said she was just teasing. Of course it was white grape juice. As we all set down to eat, she dropped that glass shattering it. Fortunately, it was almost empty. As we got all the glass cleaned up, she then knocked over her sister's drink. Good grief! The new kitchen is now christened and well broke-in. Their dad was teasing about what to name the new baby. He said, "If it is a boy, we can name him Olaf." GBN2 replied, "No! We can't call him 'Hello' in Spanish.
Things are still not finished. You will notice the ladders in the back ground where Jesse is messing with GBN2. There is still no tile on the kitchen counter. Although we did work on the trim this weekend, we have a long way to go. I don't want any furniture moved in until things are a bit more finished, but we did bring in two of my favorite old chairs. They need to be recovered, but for sitting in front of the fire right now, they are good. The tall chair at the island is one that I bought last spring while junking with the Diva. It needs some love and paint. Some day, I'd like a new, bigger, longer table, but I'm okay with my old one. It has been loved for lots of years. Jesse and I had fun digging out my table cloth and place-mats and using my Christmas dishes. Well, Martha Stewart would not be impressed, but it was a good gathering of friends and family with lots of good food.

As Andy said in the comments, I am blessed.

10 comments:

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Fun, fun, fun till Daddy takes the ladders away...

Becky G said...

You are blessed to have family so close. Mine is so scattered out that we hardly ever all get together any more.

Buck said...

As Andy said in the comments, I am blessed.

That you ARE. I always look at your family posts rather wistfully, thinking about what might have been.

GBN1 is getting pretty big... you're gonna have to come up with another acronym soon, coz GrandBABY doesn't exactly fit any longer.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Becky. I love having my GGs close.

Buck,
Maybe I will just have to start calling them GG1 and GG2 and mystery baby.

Jo Castillo said...

And a great time was had by all! Your new home is to die for! Happy belated Thanksgiving!

joyce said...

We have loaned lots of plastic ware and tupperware to my daughter-in-law temporarily in Texas while her husband is deployed. Our middle son was shocked at his last visit---as our cupboards were mostly glass glasses and china. yes, we are living dangerously.

Your spicier Thanksgiving sounds fun. Did the granddaughters complain, or do they like spicy foods?

Bag Blog said...

Joyce,
The GGs have been raised to like spicy foods. We go through some glass glasses around here - livin' la vida loco.

Towanda said...

Loved the pictures, Lou. You all look so happy, and the new kitchen / dining room looks awesome!!!

Moogie P said...

Sounds perfect! There's nothing like a newly christened kitchen!

Olaf. Heh.

Bag Blog said...

Moogie, I wondered if anyone liked the "olaf" joke.