Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Weekend Report and Jesse's Big Adventure

You should have been here, Buck! We had great food and a great time. The wind was a bit crazy - like 30 MPH, but we still managed. Toby's brisket was delicious as was the chicken he threw in the smoker just to see how it would turn out.  We grilled corn on the cob, and cooked a medley of veggies. I made two recipes of cole slaw from the Southern Living magazine - one was jalapeno hot. Using the same hot jalapenos, we made a pico that was quite warm and included avocados and a bit of mango. We also had an assortment of fruit for dessert and daiquiris.  By late evening it was perfect to sit outside and visit.

The GGs caught a turtle. Of course they had to put it in a bucket with grass and water - hoping to save it fro the turtle races on the 4th of July. We talked them into letting it go, since it was a snapping turtle and could be dangerous. The new kittens got quite a workout from the GGs. Even the dogs were worn out by the end of the evening - as were Crewcraw and Booboo. Remind me to tell you Max vs. the skunk story.

Jesse took some photos of Mr T. and all the goings on. Mr. T. was exceptionally cute and cuddly. If Jes posts the photos on FB, I will steal them and share them, but I did not have time to take any photos myself. I'm really slippin'.

TODAY things are quiet. Jesse packed up her little car and headed to The City and her summer job. Toby headed off to work, too. I packed their lunches :)  She went in and out of the house several times making sure she had all she needed. I finally got an "I love you, too" before she left.

BIG ADVENTURE: A few days ago, Jes found out that her internship came through. She will be spending several weeks of July in the jungle of Ecuador studying with a guy who does research on tribal pottery.  It sounds pretty cool...I think. You know the mom in me. But I will be cheerful and supportive.  She is quite excited.  She is suppose to meet with the teacher soon (I should really know his name, but I don't) and discuss what all she needs to do before and for the trip. She said she would ask him if there was a place to plug in her iPod (she does not have one) and her phone...maybe her curling iron.  That is just her sense of humor. She can rough it with the best of 'em. She is the hippie chick's daughter. If anyone has any suggestions about living in the jungle, please let us know. It should be a grand adventure.Toby and I may need to plan a trip to South America :)

 Now I am gonna have a day to myself - maybe clean house again, maybe paint, maybe do whatever the heck I want.

10 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Sounds like a really super day! Jesse will learn a lot in Ecuador. We had company Sunday from friends that lived in Ecuador for 7 years. Fun.

Buck said...

If anyone has any suggestions about living in the jungle, please let us know.

MREs. ;-)

But seriously, folks... What an opportunity and adventure. Wow.

It sounds like you had a great day... I SHOULD have left yesterday afternoon and joined all y'all. My hockey game didn't work out like I wanted it...

Bag Blog said...

I thought about you and your South American adventures.

Bag Blog said...

Sorry about the hockey game. Maybe next time.

Barbara said...

Great weekend and what an opportunity for Jesse!

Becky G said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Tips for the jungle: bug spray. Lots and lots of bug spray.

Bag Blog said...

I keep telling myself that.

Bag Blog said...

Skin-so-soft is one of my favorites.

Stefan said...

I haven't heard much about pottery in Ecuador, but a lot about pot! ha.

Actually, my ex-Boss is a Mormon, and his two sons both did their two year stints of evangelism in Ecuador. His oldest son got married down there if I remember right.

Kids pick-up the language so fast. I'm not a big fan of Spanish, as it seems to be a bit twang-ier than French. Although Que Sera, Sera sounds a heck of a lot better than the French (kay versus kuh). Whatever will be, will be...

I know your daughter will have a big adventure! Pot or Pottery! ha

Bag Blog said...

Ecuador is suppose to be a great place to retire. It seems a bit far from my grand-babies, though.