Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Mountain Fever

When the 4th of July rolls around, I get terrible homesick for the mountains. I miss the parade in Red River and all that goes with it. I miss the cool weather.  Last year Jes and I were in Red for the 4th. We had a good time, but it was not the same as yesteryear. The parade is just not what it used to be. People used to put lots of effort into their 4th of July float. Now it is mostly 4 wheelers. They all look the same. Things change. Such is life.

This year we went to Marlow, OK, for the 4th. Toby and I manned a booth for a friend who is running for district judge. We were there from 8 AM to noon at the local park along with all the other Okies. It was an interesting crowd. The temps were in the low 90's, which is rather cooler than most 4th of July's. And yet, I kept thinking, "It is just hotter'n hell in Oklahoma." We all wore our yellow shirts and made quite a showing. Approximately 75 people with yellow shirts showed up at the parade to support Josh.  Other candidates for other offices were impressed. Jesse showed up in time for lunch and took this photo with a bear. I was impressed. She did not have a yellow shirt since she has been off gallivanting in the mountains.  After our trip to Peru, she made a trip to Red River and did a bit of backpacking and camping in the high mountains. She said there were no bears, but plenty of mountain goats. You can see one in the lower left corner of this photo.  NM reintroduced the mountain goats to the area and the goats have thrived. Jesse said the goats were a bit intimidating - the goats got pretty close - apparently people have been feeding them. I love these pics of the mountains. It has been a long time since I hiked to Wheeler Peak. Homesick for the mountains. Yesterday, GBN1 asked me what was the best part of our trip to Peru. I said for me, it was the bike ride in the mountains.

5 comments:

Stefan said...

I used to hike with my wife and friends in the Cascades (too arthritic now), and have very fond memories, even if it was raining. It was just fun to be with outdoors people.

I never ate while hiking, but my wife seemed to be eating all the time. Sure enough she only could make it about half-way when I usually had to dig for the emergency kybo tape, but no kybo for miles.

One day she found what she thought was a secluded spot, and our hiking buddies went ahead. It turns out the trail turned and went down below her. So just as she's putting her britches back on, everyone yells and claps their hands!

We still kid her about that even 20 years later, but she is still always eating something even if we are at a stop light...

Bag Blog said...

Some things you just can't live down. Baring your bottom would be one of them.

Jesse and I discussed our love of hiking the other day. I've tried lots of things like cross-country skiing and bicycling. Those things are okay, but not really my favorite things. Hiking is more my thang. I loved hiking in Peru; I just wish my feet hadn't fallen off.

Jo Castillo said...

I love the stories and photos. I've never been a hiker. Give me a horse! There appear to be some trails around the house here, I will check it out!

Bag Blog said...

We met some ladies from Florida on one of our tours in Cusco. They were planning on doing a horse back ride along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. How did I miss that?!

Jo Castillo said...

That sounds more my speed. I have been "walking" here every other day. Not too far though.