Monday, September 01, 2014

Beginnings

It may be the end of the summer, but it is also some beginnings. I love new beginnings - first of the week, first of the month - it is a good time to start things afresh. So we tore up the old part of the house to literally raise the roof. We spent a large part of this last weekend moving furniture and boxing up stuff in the old part of the house. We moved some stuff to the barn and some stuff to the new part of the house. There are some things I am not willing to put in the barn with the mice, spiders, scorpions, and other critters. Makes me shiver just to think about it.So we have stuff piled all over the place - kind of a maze to walk through.  Of course it was stinkin' hot while we were moving things around. Even in the house, the air conditioner was working hard to keep up with us. With sweat rolling off me, I thought it was just my crazy lady hormones, but then I noticed sweat rolling off Toby too. I hate August. Here is a pic of the old part of the house. Notice the low roof. It will be raised to look more like the new part of the house. Here is the new part of the house and all the furniture stacked up - the pit. Last night we sat in the pit and streamed a movie (some Italian flick with subtitles making us all have to work for our entertainment) and ate popcorn and drank margaritas. More on that later. It was comfy enough.

As I said, I hate August, and I'm glad its over. My little excursion to NM helped to make it better, but still, I am just tired of the heat. I broke my rule and made a decision in August - one should not make decisions in August when one is a bit heat-crazed not to mention hormone crazed. And so I cut my hair. My hairdresser is new - not just to me, but to the whole business of being a hairdresser. We discussed how I wanted my hair - some length off and some layers - and then we ended up taking WAY more off than talked about and WAY more layers than was expected. It is not TOO bad. Given time to grow, it will be okay. I had told her that as long as I could pull it up and get it off my neck I would be okay. And I can just barely do that, so we are okay. Not thrilled, though. My own fault. August decisions are never good.

Since it is some beginnings, we (Toby, Jes, and me) are going to buckle down on our diets - began again. This summer has been kind of a "let 'er go" on our food intake. Now we need to get back on the diet-train. So we licked our thumbs and made a pact to stick to better eating and lose a few pounds. Last night was the last night of being free. When discussing plans for the evening and supper, we decided to keep it light. Jesse wanted to eat popcorn and watch a movie. Toby and I needed to run to town for groceries first. When I asked Jesse if there was anything she needed from town, she answered in usual Jesse fashion, "Bring me a coke. It has been ages since I have had a coke. Wait, bring me a margarita. No, make it a coke. Well, just surprise me!" So, we chose to bring a six-pack of margarita wine cooler thingies. Not bad. They went well with the foreign movie.

I realize most people focus on the end of the summer, but the end of one thang means the beginning of something else. My sister has gone back to teaching, and started her new job last week. My sister-in-laws both started back to their teaching jobs too - one in elementary school and one at a college - they both complain of students not being at the level they are suppose to be at. One SIL said her kids could not even use scissors! I will let you guess which SIL said that. And Jesse, too, has started school. she is doing her student teaching. So far, so good. She is also working on her senior art show which has its opening on Sept. 19th at Midwestern. Anyone interested in attending the show, let me know, and I will send info. You can see lots of her work on her FB page. Jes will graduate in December. I guess that makes this the beginning of the end for her. :)

4 comments:

Stefan said...

Grannies look cool in a buzz-cut with purple and pink highlights. Bring out that inner punk, and spill margaritas on the grand kids as they spin and vomit on the merry-go-round... My 70 year old brother took me out into the Pacific with his boat, and I spent most of the time feeding the fish, and hugging the sides. He made things worse by drinking beer and eating sardines as he fished. I think I lost 10 pounds...

Bag Blog said...

Ah! Sounds like a diet plan! Would your brother take me out on the boat?

Jo Castillo said...

Ach...not my kind of diet!

Your house will be great. Not fun living in those tight quarters, though. I bet your hair looks cute! Hang in there!

Bag Blog said...

Actually if I curl my hair it is pretty cute. The problem is that I have to curl it. Fixing my hair is not one of my favorites. A ponytail or clip is my usual.