Saturday, January 09, 2016

Deadly Animals

It was not my best week, but not for the reasons you might think. Monday started off a bit rough. At the end of the day, I wondered why I was teaching art and that I would not want to do this again next year. Tuesday was better, and I thought, "Okay. I'm gonna make it."

Wednesday, a raccoon on a suicide mission ran out on the highway in front of my car. I barely saw him before impact. Raccoon are so cute, I felt bad about killing one. When I got to school and saw the damage done to the passenger side front fender and under pinning, I wanted to go back and hit that raccoon again. The underpinning stuff was all broken and hanging loose. The driving light was knocked back into the wheel-well. The fender was popped loose. A mess!

Since I was suppose to go to WF after school to take Mom to a new doctor, I had to call Toby and switch cars with him at lunch.  He said to meet him at the park on the highway in Comanche. Little did we know that the park is the lunch hangout for all the high school hoodlums. The parking lot was full of pick-up trucks and fast cars and kids racing their engines. I asked Toby if he was ever so stupid, and he said, "I still am!" Toby and I sat there eating our lunch with me trying not to see what was going on around me. I didn't want to know. See that kid in the leather jacket and tie? I'm pretty sure he does not go to our high school and is probably a drug dealer.

Fortunately, lunch is only about 40 minutes, so the kids all roared their engines and raced off. I asked Toby if he wanted to make-out now that all the kids were gone. Big grin. Anyway, we switched cars. As I was buckling myself into Toby's car, I hear this engine roaring. Looking over at Toby, he was grinning and racing the engine of my car. Silly boy.

My trip to WF actually went well. I think Mom will really like this new doctor. The new doc set Mom up for a driving test with an occupational therapist. She also set Mom up to have a test on her memory - all in hopes of her driving again. I hope she fails her driving test and passes her memory test.

Thursday Toby told me that my car was fine to drive to work - that the underpinning was okay.
Well, it was not. About half way to school, the underpinning started dragging. Of course I called Toby, who was deeply into his work compartment. He said for me to go home and get the truck.  But I really did not have time to go home and get the truck. I was halfway to school. If I went back, I would be late and not be able to get art stuff set up. I was freakin' out. He was not helpful. So I did what any farm girl would do. I got out and worked on the underpinning. I managed to get it propped up well enough to get me to school. Then when I was a ways down the very narrow road, I met a pick-up truck coming towards me. As we passed, I heard a huge bang against my car. What the heck!? Both the truck and I stopped. I thought maybe the truck had hit me someway. But no, the truck driver said, "Wow, that was a huge coyote! He ran in front of me and hit you!" Sure enough! A huge dead coyote lay on the road. I never saw him coming. And my front driver's side fender was dented and broken. My door pops when I open it. Another fine mess! I went back and kicked the dead coyote for good measure.

Now both sides of my car were crunched thanks to suicidal animals.I drove the truck on Friday in case any deer were feeling depressed and wanting to end it all. A bird did fly into the grill - good grief! At least it did not cause any damage.  If I had been in my car, the whole front end would probably have fallen off.  Next week, I am driving a tank.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You have me giggling and I already knew most of the story.....thanks!
A merry heart is good medicine!

Bag Blog said...

Love you, Robin!

Anonymous said...

Feel sorry for the critters, but so funny! Also Toby being a teen again.

FF

Bag Blog said...

We got the estimate for the repairs. I don't feel so sorry for the animals.

Joanna said...

Mom pointed me over here. Wow and yikes! What a week. I hope you don't have to go too much out-of-pocket. The dog I hit last fall ended up costing my insurance company about $4K in repairs plus about 2 weeks in rental car fees. No fun. Reading your story was fun, though. I'm glad you've got your sense of humor. Good luck on your mom failing the one test but passing the other!

Jo Castillo said...

You made us smile today. I really do feel for you though. Joanna had a similar run in with a dog a few weeks ago at night on her way home from music. Required a tow truck. Happy you are OK and cars fixable. $$$$ not good. :( Three is a charm, they say. Hope you are past the worst.

I really hope your mom can feel settled and be happy. Joanna will be dealing with us before too long. Hugs to you both.

CenTexTim said...

My wife has hit a vulture (no structural damage, but a big dent in the hood), a deer (glancing blow - no serious damage to vehicle or animal), and assorted small critters. The worse was a skunk - the smell lingered for weeks.

She also was run into by a deer. A small buck was standing on the side of the road. She saw him and slowed down. When she got next to him he lowered his head and charged. He smashed in the passenger window and knocked the passenger door out of alignment. Then he ran off into the woods ... no doubt laughing.

Bag Blog said...

Toby said our next vehicle will have a big cow-catcher on the front.

Bag Blog said...

I think you wife needs the cow-catcher too.

Bag Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bag Blog said...

Hey Joanna, great to hear from you. I think the insurance will be paying about 3K. They are dragging their feet. Fortunately, we have an extra vehicle - the farm truck.