Thursday, October 05, 2017

Art Solace

It was supposed to be cooler yesterday with lots of rain. It was not cooler, but it was warm and muggy. I spent the day working on a commission piece.  An old friend from Red River asked me to paint her family cabin in RR. It is not a very exciting subject, but it means a lot to her. It means a lot to me too. I spent lots of time in my growing-up years playing with my friend. Later my brother rented the cabin and got married out on the patio. So, yeah, it is a good subject.

We had family camp last weekend in the Wichita Mountains. I camped with my son and the GGs. Jesse did not camp with us. She opted to go home and sleep in her own comfy bed. Smart girl. Fortunately it was a bit cooler at camp or I might have melted in to a puddle of butter. As it was, I was still warmer than the average person. The GGs got up three times during the night to say they were hearing noises and were scared (elks bugling, raccoons rustling, etc.) or had to go to the bathroom. Then Bo got up with leg cramps from playing too hard during the day. After not sleeping so well, I got up at the crack of dawn to help with breakfast by making a huge skillet of cream gravy. The GGs were sound asleep at that point. By Saturday night, I was one tired puppy. I told Toby that next year if I say I am going to camp out with the GGS, to just shoot me.

My art girls have been painting pumpkins. We may try some fall leaves too. They seem to be good watercolor techniques involved - good lessons, good subjects, very seasonal. Today is the art ladies. I will probably make them do pumpkins too.

Speaking of art ladies, I have some sad news. For years I painted with three other ladies every Wed. You can see lots of our adventures and paintings by searching art ladies on my blog. We had a great connection and lots of fun times. But eventually I moved on from that group for different reasons, but I love those ladies and keep in touch. One of the ladies, Jean, has been fighting cancer for a while now. It seems she is at the end of her battle - and she has lost the fight. It makes me sad. Sad for her family. I was supposed to go see her this week with one of the other art ladies, but it is too late for visitors. So very sad.  Here we are together - Jean is on the far right.

Then during art on Tuesday my Mom's old buddy from Red River, Lottie Tweed, called. I didn't take the call at that time not knowing the number, but Lottie left a message to call her back. Just hearing her voice made me tear up, but it was not the time for tears. I returned her call yesterday. It was really great to hear from her and catch up on family and friends. But it was difficult too. Several times I had to suck it up and not cry. She and my mom were like sisters - two peas in a pod - great friends. As always, Lottie was joy, a comfort, and always a lady. But it made me sad. I know it sounds like I have a lot of sad days, but really they are just sad moments. All is well.

Maybe, emotions make for a better artist. It seems that retreating into my art is very soothing. Soothing doesn't seem to be the right word Encouraging is a good word too, but still not perfect. Solace, maybe?



6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

We have had about 3 nights in the last week where we could sleep with the windows open. Yay. Warm days, though.

I love the pumpkin paintings. You have lots of energy.

Sad about your friend. Nice you could talk to your mom’s friend.

Talked to our granddaughter yesterday. She is in the hospital today in induced labor. We should have another great grandson, Luke, if all goes as planned this afternoon!

John said...

We're thinking about you Lou. We know it's hard for you right now, but we hope in the near future that thoughts of your Mom will bring a smile instead of a tear.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
Your Thanksgiving with the new great-grandson should be fun - and all the other grands too!

Bag Blog said...

John,
I have lots of smile times too. I should write more about them. Maybe the crying is a hormone thang.

Park Picnic said...

I'm not very good at making new friends, and being an old coot no one is standing in line to buy me coffee anymore.

Over the last 10 years everyone in my little world passed away. It's shocking that some have been gone for 10 years now, and I still think about calling them up to go get a pizza, or drive our hot rods around.

When I go to the car shows now, the people are younger and they have newer cars. They look at my car and call it a jalopy. As if they knew what a jalopy was, harrumph!

Anyway, sad to hear your friend has got an invitation to "the big park" as we call it. My doctor keeps giving me more drugs to combat all the hamburgers, pizzas, and ice cream I spent my life eating...

Bag Blog said...

Park Picnic,
This aging and dying thing is bound to happen. I hope I can do so gracefully.