Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Ceramic Monday

It got quite chilly here on April 1 - no fooling!  Toby started a fire, and we stayed warm and toasty.  We did go out to the barn and do a bit of pottery. Toby has one of those propane heaters in the barn, so it was not so cold. It was the water that we used that was really cold. I was trying to teach Toby how to pull a handle, which I am not very good at. You have to dip your hand in water and then pull slightly on the clay over and over. Then you need to let the handle dry for a bit before attaching it to the cup.  To make the clay dry faster, I keep a heat gun nearby. So I told Toby to use the heat gun on the clay handle. He said he would rather use it on his hands.  

Jesse had Good Friday off, and Monday was a workday, but no students.  I came to WF early to have lunch with her and run my errands.  I did not get to the studio early like I did last week. Last week I got there hours early thinking to do lots of pots. And I did. The truth is that I was very sore after sitting at the wheel that long. But this week I was slow getting things done and I spent some time with Jes, so we got to the studio just in time for class to start. At ceramics I spent the evening trimming and putting handles on last week's pots. I also got some pots ready for glazing.  The evening was over before I could do any throwing. Then there is the clean-up time - everyone needs to do their part. When I had finished cleaning up, I got some extra clay to take home and I wrapped up one of my cups to put a handle on it at home. Then I boxed up some of pieces that needed glaze and brought them home. Jesse had brought me some watercolor glaze from the big ceramic convention she went to over spring-break. There is not time to use it at ceramics class, but I will try it at home. It was close to 9:30 before I got back to Jesse's. 

It has continued to be fairly cool and today is supposed to be windy - like up to 45 MPH. I really enjoy the cool weather, but not so much the wind.  I had better get myself going home before the wind gets wild.

5 comments:

Etienne said...

I feel like the dog in the picture. It's always nap time around here. Finally got my taxes done. Had to pay taxes to Uncle Trump, but Aunt Fallin is sending me a refund from Oklahoma.

Hmm, I didn't realize Fallin was born the same year as me, as she doesn't have the geezer look like me yet.

Bag Blog said...

I'm rather a lazy dog myself.

Jo Castillo said...

That does sound and look comfy!
Sounds like you are doing well with the pottery. Congrats.
We bought a painting from a friend at the Art Center and he and his wife delivered it on Monday. First company in a while and we enjoyed sitting on the porch after the pollen has gone! Yay. We’ve had a bit of wind but not too bad.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
Today is in the low 70s. But I'm getting ready for a cold front and a deep freeze tonight - carried lots of firewood.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.