Monday, June 15, 2020

Paint in the Park 2020

This past Saturday I judged Paint in the Park put on by CTAC. Usually I paint in the contest, but this year I was the judge. There were 15 artists. Six of the paintings were good. Well, actually seven but I picked out the top six and moved them around and around trying to decide which ones I liked the best.  It was tough. I had a photographer friend whom I asked to co-judge with me. We bounced around our thoughts. She really liked one painting best - the one that was not my favorite, but I respected her opinion and gave it a place.  First place went to my little art student, Alayna. I liked her light and depth.
She painted last year in the Paint in the Park and did an okay painting, but it had no depth - no change of color in the green trees. This one was much better. I hope I didn't recognize her work and subconsciously pick hers. I really liked five of the paintings, but I had to get picky and make decisions. It is what it is.

A few weeks ago, I resigned my teaching job with the Duncan PS. I like the kids, but not the politics. Anyway, then I got a few things in the mail about unemployment benefits, but I ignored them. First of all I did not claim unemployment - why would I? But then I got an odd credit card in the mail. I couldn't figure out why it was sent, but I ignored it too. Then I got an email from the school district that said they thought someone had made a fraudulent unemployment claim using my info. What?! The email gave me a list of things to do concerning the fraud and identity theft. I mentioned this to different friends who said that apparently there had been lots of teachers that this was happening to. Hmm. Does that mean someone hacked into the Education agency or school business? I don't know, but I don't deal well with this sort of thing. Fortunately, I am married to Toby, who deals better with government agencies. I hate this.

I just want to be an artist these days and stay out of politics and disputes. Although, I am a bit of a fighter and I tend to get myself into different messes. This one was not my fault.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, I like Alayna’s painting, too. Very nice. Interesting that you were the judge this year. Good for you, not an easy job by any means.

I have definitely given up on all things non art. I haven’t been doing much of that either, but maybe soon. I’m sort of feeling it. Watched a couple of videos and such. When you don’t paint you lose the automatic part of that. You need to paint everyday to keep the unconscious learning at your beck and call. So I need to practice ….

Happy to see you posting and doing more art. Yay!!!

Etienne said...

Just so it doesn't mess with your credit report, I would call the credit card issuer and close the account if there is one open.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
I am feeling the painting bug, but I need inspiration on the what to paint. I have ideas, but nothing tickles my fancy. Plus, I need to get organized and find the time.

Etienne,
WE took care of the credit reports right off the bat. There was also all sorts of agencies to write letters to. What a hassle. I have found that lots of people in the area are going through the same thing.