Monday, November 09, 2020

Commissions vs. Inspiration

 Toby is home this week using up his vacation time. We are not going anywhere, but will do things around the Lazy B that need doing. We need a fence around the house to keep the bigger critters (horses and eventually cows) out. Last spring when the bull dozer came to work on the pond dam, he had to take down the fence between us and the horses. Since then, they have become house horses. They hang around the house and use the north side shade as their barn. They drink the dog's water from a big bowl on the patio rather than walk down to the pond. They like the fence line between us and the neighbors, which is pretty much the backyard, so they can hang with other horses. So, now my yard is pocked up with horse hoof prints from anytime it has rained. The yard is full of horse poop. It makes mowing interesting.  I need to get the wheel-barrow and scoop poop to put in the garden, but the wheel-barrow has a flat - go figure! Just another thing that needs fixin' around here!

I have several commissions of sorts that I need to work on - not my favorite. There is a non-profit place called Charis that helps young pregnant mothers or mothers with young children. It is a really cool place with a good purpose. They are expanding their parking lot and building to better aid the mothers, and they asked me to do a watercolor of their projected plans. I enlisted Jesse's help to use her auto-cad and draw the building from photos - then change the building and parking lot to what they want. Then I painted it. They asked me to be finished by the 1st, and I was. I matted and framed it and took it to them. But the director was off in CO at a conference. Then they called on Friday and asked me to come in and make some changes - like writing the name on the matt. I said you can do that yourself. Well, then they wanted me to show the parking places more so. Okay. No problema. I can take the painting out of the frame and fix it. It is just a hassle. But I am going to town today to take care of it. I want to be pleasing to them. Yet, people who are not art people don't really know what they want, they don't explain things well, and they say they just want a simple painting. Hmm. What is in their brain and what is in mine is not always the same, but I want it to work for them. sigh.


I have had some real artistic inspiration lately. On Facebook, I am a part of a group called Memories and Photos of New Mexico. There have been some beautiful fall photos posted. I asked to paint some of them and got permission. I have done two paintings so far and want to do a couple of more. But I have some other commissions, too. Dang it. I need to getter done. 


 

No comments: