Thursday, September 23, 2021

Groceries Galore

 It's been a busy week. I think I have been to town every day. Tomorrow I will go again to take down the art show at CTAC.  Then Monday we will put up a new show. The new show will consist of three ladies who all do very different art work.  Two of my old painting buddies from the Painted Ladies will be apart of the show, and a lady who does fabric art. It is all very good stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing their new art. The artist reception will be on Oct. 7 from 5:30 to 7:30. We throw a pretty good part, so come see the art and visit.

Today, after my pottery lesson with my new student, I went visiting in town. Several of my friends had gotten together last week to come see the art work that was up (and about to come down). Then we went to lunch. It was so much fun that we made a plan to get together again. Today, we met at one of their homes and drank coffee and set out on the back porch in the fairly cool fall weather. It was very pleasant. So pleasant that I lost track of time and Toby beat me home. He was very sweet and fixed supper. I tell ya that man is a keeper. Of course just a few hours before, I had told my lady friends how I was thinking of killing him and hiding the body. 

Funny thing happened on Tuesday. I had gone to town and run errands including a trip to Walmart to get groceries. When I got home, there were groceries in plastic bags all over my carport. They were from Homeland grocery store. I guessed that someone had delivered them to the wrong address. The groceries included ice cream, frozen pizza, two loafs of bread (three if you count the one the dogs ate) orange juice, lunch meat, three containers of strawberries, two things of grapes, soup cans, cleaning supplies, and the really good part - 4 containers of cherry turnovers. All of which were in the carport in the heat! I called a neighbor to see if she knew of anyone who got home delivery from Homeland. She said she would call around. She did call back and say she could not find anyone who ordered groceries. In the meantime, I called Homeland, who gave me a 1-888 number to call. I got a person whose first language was not English. She asked for my account number, but I said that I didn't have an account and explained the dropped off groceries. She said she would be able to help me. Long pause. I waited. Finally, I said, "Today?" She said, "How are you doing today?" Well, I'm fine except for having to carry in all these groceries. Long pause. I waited. "You may keep the groceries and we will not charge you." No kidding! You don't have my name or my account. I tried explaining again that I don't live in a populated area. Surely she could figure out who ordered the groceries. Nope, she couldn't and I could keep them and they would not charge me. I thanked her for not being helpful. Since my little art student was coming for art class and she has a large family, I sent most of the groceries home with her. She was pleased. Someone out there with no groceries was probably not pleased. Oh well.

Then on Wednesday a truck pulled up outside and a guy got out. He went around to the passenger's side door and reached in. I thought, "NO! NO more groceries!" But it was just my neighbor dropping off the Blue Gold FFA sausage that I had ordered. 

I did one more painting for the San Jacinto Neighborhood Association. The color is actually a little brighter than this photo, but it is from and old black and white newspaper ad for Cal Farley's tire service.

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Strange about the groceries. You would think they could figure it out easily. Not like you live in New York City! I haven’t used the pick up service or delivery. When I get to the store and there are so many people there and the aisles are full of the pick up shoppers I think … why didn’t I do that? Then I remember it is because you have to plan ahead of time. Ha.

Oh, I love the painting. Are you going to deliver and go to the reception? Sounds like a fun time. Good for you for keeping busy with your art.

I’m hoping some of the artists will decide to sketch or meet for lunch here. It has been so quiet. Enid has her class but it is on Zoom. I did it today, but not the same as getting together in person. She does a demo or talks about the technique for the day, then we paint and show what we did for 30 minutes. Makes about 1.5 hours of class. Anyhow….

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
The groceries were a strange thing. We ate a frozen pizza the other night, and it was pretty good. Since I am headed to Amarillo, maybe Toby will eat the chicken pot pies.

I will go tomorrow morning and help my sister take the art in and hang it. She has a lady from Amarillo who has relatives in Red River. In fact, I probably played with her back when we were little girls since I knew her relatives pretty well. The reception is Thursday night, and I will go. I think I will come home Friday morning. I'd like to keep on going to the mountains, but that might not go over well with Toby. He had his chance. He is making vacation plans around the Texas Clay Festival in Gruene October 23. Look for us around then.