Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Hot Summer Days

 It has been a long hot summer. And though it has not been as hot as it could have been, I am still tired of the heat and ready for it to be done. Maybe it was the humidity this summer that made it seem hotter. We haven't really been anywhere in a long time. I am really ready to get out of Dodge!

We were supposed to take a week off earlier this summer, but it all fell through, and Toby worked through the week. He took one day off and we went to Wichita Falls. Big whoop. So then we had a big plan to go to Weatherford, TX, for a bit of a family reunion, but with the rising covid numbers, that got canceled too. We had planned to take the kayaks and the Casita for some time on the lake there. I was really looking forward to seeing my one-year-old great-nephew for the first time. But I totally understood about new babies and pregnant nieces verses covid. So Toby worked through that week also, but took off Friday. We went to Dallas to get clay at Trinity Ceramics. They have a big clay sale once a year. We took the Honda and loaded it down with clay. We drove low and slow. On the way home, we stopped in Runaway Bay to see Toby's sister. It was a nice little get-out-of-town day. Still, I want to get far away.

Toby has been working way too much. Since the oil business has picked up, he has been trying to hire new people, but no one wants to work. And if they do, they want to work in the oil field where the big bucks are made, not in the warehouse/shipping area. Plus he has had a few guys test positive for covid and other team members had to quarantine. What a mess! He just keeps working through it. He says it is difficult to get trucks or parts, or wood to build crates, etc. The good news is that he turned in his retirement date for the first quarter in 2022. Hang on Sloopy!

Jesse and I signed up to do a mock art battle for the Wichita Falls Art Association's Texoma Gives day - Sept. 9th. I have been practicing fast paintings.



Today I sent my best practice piece to Jesse to critique, and she said, the composition was thin, but it was pretty. Pffftt! Wichita Falls is also doing the real Art Battle in November. Jesse and I put in for that too, but have not heard whether we were accepted or not. 

I signed up a lady to take pottery lessons from me. I told her not to have high expectations, but we would have fun. My September is filling up fast. I just want to go somewhere cool and nice. Sigh. I seem to be whining. It's the heat.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

I figured you had written a post when I saw comments on my blog. Thanks!

I love your fast paintings, especially the cactus, don’t you know? Both are great. I am in awe.

Toby will find that he won’t be able to figure out how he had time to work when he retires! Good for him to decide to do it now.

We are stir crazy as well. Want to go to Roger’s in AZ to take the trailer to him as we aren’t using it. Have to go through NM and you never know what that governor is going to do. One of these days we will get somewhere. Gene thought of coming to the HHH but chickened out when he saw how many riders go. Ha. Larry said he had to stay about an hour away. He came back that night and we had Gene’s birthday on Sunday. Fun.

Hugs, maybe we will go north one of these days.

Bag Blog said...

Just watching the HHH is fascinating. The trade show is fun, and the beer tents and food are pretty good too. We did not go over this year. I felt bad for not being there when Jesse finished her 100 miles. In fact, I cried - must be the hormones. Larry should have called Jesse. She probably would have let him sleep on her couch. Who knows? She is almost 40 years old and does what she wants. I try to stay out of her hair. Well, I try anyway.

Jo Castillo said...

The HHH sounds good. Larry wanted to come home for the birthday, but it probably would have worked out with Jesse. I can't believe how old they are. Yikes. Larry is 45 .... our baby!

Etienne said...

We used to call "thin but pretty" svelte, back in the day.

Bag Blog said...

I've never been svelte.

ashok said...

Nice artwork !

Bag Blog said...

Ashok,
Thanks again. These are quick 20 minute paintings. I will be in Art Battle Wichita Falls in November. Need to train!