Thursday, July 02, 2020

Cucumbers Galore

July is World Watercolor Month. I try to do a watercolor a day for the entire month and post them on FB or Instagram.  I have done this in years past. It is a challenge and it does help me to paint every day, which is a good habit. They say if you practice doing something for a month, it becomes a habit.  For me, after the month is over, I am so relieved that I quit the habit. Like dieting or exercising. Still, I will give it a shot, but if I don't make it every day, I don't sweat it. I had done a couple of little watercolors while in the kayak, but they were rather loose and wild due to the waves rocking the boat. So, I tried to redo the painting and tighten it up a bit. Well, I got it too, tight. The lake has the wonderful dead trees along the shore that make for great fishing and maybe nice art. In trying to paint them, I got the background too dark and detailed. I should have made it lighter and pushed it back some. Maybe I will give it one more try. Maybe not. Here is the right and tight painting
On another note, our garden is beginning to produce. So far, we have only had one ripe tomato. We have had some okra and squash. But the thing we have the most of is cucumbers. Toby thought he was planting melons of different sorts, but instead, he had planted lots of cucumbers. This photo is not even half of what we have.
I have made cucumber salad and Tzatziki sauce so far. We used the sauce on Greek gyros. Well, sort of Greek. I cooked chicken and pork on the grill, sliced them thin as in a gyro. Then we used tortillas rather than pita bread. Keep in mind that we are supposed to be in quarantine and do not go to the store often. Actually, our gyros were really good. Kind of a Greek/Mexican dish! Ha! Mostly, I give cucumbers away to anybody and everybody. Toby tried making us cucumber smoothie. It was not bad, but neither was it good. And it stayed with me the rest of the day - something I can live without.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

The painting is good. Toby’s hat makes it look a bit like Lake Titicaca. I like your colors.

Cucumbers made me laugh. I used to make this kind of pickles when we were in South America. You don’t have to soak them for 10 days. Ha.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bread-and-butter-pickles/

Anonymous said...

We also make Greek tacos! I use ground lamb (or even ground beef) and Cavender's Greek seasoning. I make my own tzatziki sauce (and the yogurt) and that is when I need a cucumber. I need to grow cucumbers for tzatziki emergencies. I am trying to grow tomatoes, but two nights ago someone ate five little tomatoes and left a mess. I am new at this, so it is very disheartening.

I love your painting and I miss my kayaking days. We are going to Red River this month to see our son. His internship was canceled and the staff was laid off, but he went anyway for training (running). We won't be taking our camper, though. We have not used it in years. A casita like yours would be nice!

FF

Bag Blog said...


I don't usually cook Greek food, but we eat Greek sometimes when we are in Wichita Falls. I love gyros. Years ago when we were in Calgary, Canada, we often ate out for lunch when Toby was working. Our favorite place had the best gyros - although they may not have actually been Greek - maybe Lebanese. We would sit in the park and eat them - yum!

It would be nice to be in the cool mountains. I bet your son is loving it. Have fun and soak up some cool weather to bring home.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
We didn't make it to lake Titicaca when we were in Peru. Maybe one of these days. I have been looking up recipe's for cucumbers. I am not willing to soak them for days. My sister told me I should make gazpacho - a cold soup. Hmm. Toby made a cucumber smoothie - I think not on the cold soup with cucumber.

Etienne said...

I made a jar of fermented cucumbers (salt brine sitting out for 4 days with a co2 lid on it).

Ick. They didn't turn out well. Maybe too much salt in brine. But I never did see co2 bubbles during the 4 days, so I did something wrong.


They were like a cow salt lick...

Bag Blog said...

Etienne,
Fermented cucumbers! They give me enough gas as it is.

Etienne said...

Ha, I was going for a different flavor. I think my taste buds are bored.