Friday, February 12, 2021

Triads

 There are three primary colors - red, blue, and yellow. From these three colors you can paint most anything. Paint companies make many different reds, blues, and yellows. They make cool and warm colors - think pinks, turquoise, lime vs. fire engine red, navy blue, army green. So painting with a cadmium red is very different from painting with an alizarin crimson. Using a Prussian blue is different than ultra marine blue. Sap green is different from Hookers green (I always thought they should have a hooker's red :) Etc. My friend, Barb, has been taking an online watercolor class in using different colors. She bought a small Daniel Smith ultimate mixing set for her class. One of the things they practiced was painting in triads - using three primary colors of various cools/warms. She made a little watercolor book on the various triads. It was a neato book. While I was there last week, we tried doing one of her watercolor triad exercises. Using a photo that Barb took of pears we painted the pairs using different triads. Barb has done this several times. This was my first try. I used Quinacridone rose, phthalo blue and some cool yellow. Barb used some other triad. Here are a few of our pear paintings: Barb's





Mine While my little art student was here this week, we did it again on a smaller scale (only painting four pears). It is a really good exercise. 

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

What a fun exercise. I like the colors you used, they fit my brain somehow. The second one by Barb makes the pears look like they are made of metal. Cool. Maybe I will get my brain to warm up to this and try it. Thanks for sharing.

Surely there is a Hookers Red somewhere…….

Jo Castillo said...

Daniel Smith has some very nice colors. My friend, Maggie from Scotland, used the Quindracone orange or one of those for brass, it was gorgeous. I had forgotten that.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
It is a fun exercise to see how the different paints work together. My student and I also made several color wheels using different colors - warm and cool. I think it was a good lesson. The Quin colors are always exceptional.