Friday, May 27, 2022

Slow Down

 This week has slowed down somewhat. Being the end of the month, my computer and phone have slowed down too. So, I have been out in the pottery room making mugs. Although I have been throwing four mugs in the mornings and getting the handles on them the same day, I could do more and should do more. It just does not seem to be flowing like I want it to flow - or throw. Some days the pottery just works so well - everything flows. But lately, I have struggled with centering, pulling, and shaping, which is pretty much everything. It is really slowing me down to have to re-do things or re-shape or start over. 

I did get about 24 mugs to Viridian coffee shops. I was so tickled that the kiln did well - no catastrophes. My mistake was in posting the mugs on Facebook. Lots of people liked them, some want to buy them, and some want me to do more so they can buy them. I kind of made more work for myself. I don't mind making more, but I have to keep up my Viridian supply, too. When Toby helps, it is really nice. He has been throwing some great mugs. He did four really nice ones in this last firing, but they were for one of his coworkers. It is really enjoyable to have him be in the pottery room with me, helping out. Sigh. Maybe he will do more when he retires. 

He has put off retirement for a few more months. I know it is probably for the best and it is only a few months, but it makes me a little crazy. Oh well, it is soon going to be too hot to do much around here or anywhere. Might as well work - ha!

Here are my mug shots

 and Toby's four mugs.


5 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Wow, no wonder everyone wants to buy some mugs. Excellent! Toby does well.
Did you get a cooler for your pottery studio? I saw some mini coolers about the size of a toaster. They advertise that they cool a big room in 30 minutes. Not bad.
Retirement will happen soon and Toby will wonder when he had time to work.

Love seeing your work!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha…mug shots…!!!
FF

bag blog said...

Jo,
I do have an air conditioner for my pottery studio. It is an old one that we used to use in the house. It is not so great, but not bad either. I would like to have a new one.

FF,
I hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

So when are you going to post again? I am waiting with baited breath! (The thought of breath that smells like bait is not pleasing!)

FF

bag blog said...

FF,
I'll try to do better. I've just been dragging my feet.