Tuesday, December 27, 2022

A Christmas Miracle

 A week ago Monday before the cold front hit, Toby got home after dark and went to feed his cows.  He does this by driving the truck out into the pasture and then getting out and walking along shaking a bag or two of feed out for the cows. A few minutes later he came rushing into the house, grabbed a flashlight, and went running back out. He said a longhorn had hit him in the back of the head, and he had lost his glasses and a hearing aid (words you never expect to say when you are younger).  I went running out with him to help search. He immediately found his glasses, which is a miracle itself  in the dark with cows pushing each other around trying to get to the feed. We looked for the hearing aid, but did not find it. So we put a crowbar in the ground to mark the area of the lost hearing aid -  planning on looking again in the daylight. Toby was grateful that he had found his glasses and even more thankful that the longhorn had not seriously hurt him when its horn hit him in the head. 


Tuesday I went back out to search for the hearing aid. It took me a while just to find the crowbar stuck in the ground. Searching for a tiny hearing aid seemed impossible - truly looking for a needle in a haystack or a hearing aid in a hay field.  Of course, I stopped and prayed for help in finding the hearing aid believing that God could indeed help me find it. After searching for a while, I did not find it. I had the thought that God must have other plans.

Nearly a week later on Christmas afternoon, Toby took the grandkids out to search for the hearing aid. He took them down to the crowbar marking the area, explained how the cow had hit him, how he stumbled forward, etc. Then he circled the kids up to pray first.  Not five minutes later, Lizzie found the hearing aid. 

I can't tell you how much this moves me. It is as if when I prayed and looked for the hearing aid, God said, "Wait and watch. I'll show you something really great. And it will be meaningful not just to you, but to others."

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Ahhhh, Lou. Such a beautiful story. So happy that Toby wasn't hurt. Whew. Hugs all around.

Jo Castillo said...

I just read this to Gene and got choked up. It is a moving story.

bag blog said...

Jo and Gene,
The whole episode was amazing. It was uplifting to me, and I hope it was to those I shared it with. Gene's an old softy :)

Anonymous said...

I said a prayer once when a dog bit me in the leg: "Jesus Christ!"