Monday, January 30, 2023

Retirement

 Today was Toby's last Monday to work. He will be retired as of Feb. 2nd. He is pretty pumped. His crew had a big lunch out in the warehouse for him last week. Several people on his crew are amazing cooks. One guy does sourdough bread, amongst other things. Another guy does smoked brisket, turkey and pastrami. So there was sourdough bread and pastrami and other sandwich fixin's at the lunch. One of the ladies makes great desserts. Another lady is from New Mexico, and she made pasole. One of the workers who is from the Rio Grande Valley brought hot sauce that was stinkin' hot! He also brought me some Mexican vanilla. It was a very special lunch. 

Then last Monday, Toby's boss took us to the country club for lunch along with some other boss-type folk and their spouses. For the most part, it was fun, but maybe a little weird. 

On Thursday, his last day, Haliburton will have a cake and a time when folks can come by and say good-bye, congrats, whatever. And then he will be home with me. 

People keep asking him what he is going to do, and they hint that it will be awful to have him around all the time. I do think it will take some adjustment, but I am looking forward to having him around. He has so many projects around the Lazy B that he needs to work on, plus he will be able to go and do whatever he wants. He plans on doing more pottery with me. We decided to take the continuing ed class at MSU for pottery. I think it will give him a better idea on what all he can do. It will also give him some different instructors besides me. It will also let us spend time with Jesse on class days. Also, he would like to ride his bike across America, but maybe not in February. He will have time to plan that trip. Yep, retirement will be fun.


Here is the painting that I have been working on. I got the reference photo from a Facebook group called Landscape Reference Photos for Artists. It has some great landscapes. I also joined another reference group that is similar, but has more than just landscapes. It has pets, still-lifes, etc. 

I feel like life is about to change and for the better. Toby has worked hard for a long time. He is ready to have some fun, and I am game for fun.



3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Beautiful painting. Love the red, of course.

Wow, really retired. Sounds like there won't be anything going on at your place, now. Ha. Gene always says he doesn't know how he found time to work. Stayed so busy in retirement.

Wishing you both the best. Yay!!!

bag blog said...

Jo,
Thanks on the painting. He is down to one day left. Yay!

Etienne said...

I had a lot of plans for my retirement, but the problem with old age is your health goes to pot, your tractor and truck empty their fluids on the lawn, and your big event is going to the mailbox without falling down.

I'm jealous of all the retirement events! I think they took me out for pizza at Mazio's...