Friday, January 20, 2023

New Kiln and Art Possibilities

 I got my hair cut yesterday. Maybe I have mentioned this before, but I love going to the beauty shop. Having been raised in a beauty shop, I find them comforting. Women go in looking bad and come out looking beautiful. Someone else does your hair, so you feel like a princess. What's not to love? Well, I guess sometimes it can be disappointing, but in theory, it should be a joy. 

I got a new kiln last week. We went ahead and got a brand new one. Pat at the ceramic store said, "Buy an new kiln. It will work well and last you 20 years." Toby told me he didn't think we had 20 years of ceramics in us. So we will the kiln to Jesse when we get too old  :) Toby had last Monday off and he did the electrical work to get the kiln going. We have been throwing pots like mad potters. I have about 30 mugs getting ready for bisque firing. Yay!

I am also working on a new pastel of a winter scene. Jesse is doing an art show at the Leslie Powell Gallery in Lawton this spring and has asked that I join her. The gallery guy thinks it will be great to have a mother/daughter show around Mother's Day. I need to get busy and do new paintings. I found a new group on Facebook called Landscape Reference Photos for Artists. People post their landscape photos so that artists can use them. They ask that when you do a painting and post it, you give the photographers's name. It is fun to see the photos and the paintings together. I have lots of photos saved in my to-do file. I will soon post the one painting I have almost finished.

Back in October when I went in for my wellness checkup with the doc/nurse, I pointed out a little thing on my ear. It had been there for a while, but I had not seen a doctor in a while. Anyway, the doc/nurse sent me to a skin doctor. It took three months to get in. The PA who saw me was nice enough. She said the thing on my ear was pre-cancerous and that I came in just in the right time. Hmm, it took me 3 months to get in, but don't get me going on that. So the PA froze the ear thing off with liquid nitrogen. It was simple enough, but later when I went to Walmart, I had one of those pity parties. You know, where you feel like you deserve something special. So, I bought some new pens! Whoo-hoo!

Also, I have agreed to teach a little watercolor workshop to some ladies. You know what that means? It means that I needed a few new paint tubes. So I bought some. Since Toby is retiring in less than 2 weeks, I better buy when I can and before he puts me on an art budget. 

5 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Awww, love your stories. We have the nitrogen every 6 months or so. I just had to have one on my chin taken off with surgery - MOS. It is healing quickly. The scar won't be noticeable in all my wrinkles.

Have fun with the show with Jesse. Sounds like fun.

Etienne said...

I had lost quite a bit of hearing in my left ear. Then one night I noticed I could hear a bit better, but just for a short time. That's not normal!

So on my next visit, I mentioned this, and he took a peak inside and said there's something in there!

We worked on it together, him squeezing water in, me holding a bed pan so I didn't get a shower. Finally he was able to probe it out, and put it on the table.

What do you think that is? he said.

It looks like a extraterrestrial cocoon! I've been invaded...

Nope, that's the cotton of a Q-tip dummy.

I know I'm not supposed to use those in the ear, and the insurance only gave him $23. All better now.

Congrats on new Kiln! Better get some solar panels now.

bag blog said...

Jo,
Sorry I am so slow to answer your comment. Every time you have liquid nitrogen, you should probably get a new pen. It made me feel very good about things.

bag blog said...

Etienne,
Good to hear from you. In 4th grade we had to watch a health film on not putting anything sharper than your elbow in your ear. After the film the teacher was reviewing and asked what we should clean our ears with. One of the boys answered, "A bobby-pin!" I broke out laughing, because that is what my mom sometimes used on us kids.

Jo Castillo said...

Jo,
Sorry I am so slow to answer your comment. Every time you have liquid nitrogen, you should probably get a new pen. It made me feel very good about things.

Yep, I now have a new excuse to get new arts stuff. Thanks for the idea!!