Thursday, March 09, 2023

Birthday Memories

 Today is my 65th birthday. As birthdays go, this one will be forgettable. That made me think of other birthdays that were more memorable. In a family that did not spend much time on birthdays, there are only a few that stand out until I married Toby and he has done a better job of spoiling me. 

The first birthday I really recall was when I was about 6 or 7. My dad came in and put a few things on my bed. They were things that he had probably picked up at an education conference - like a pen that turned into a pointer for using on the overhead screen. I was old enough to act like it was funny and that I liked the gift knowing that he had probably forgotten my birthday, but I was young enough to be disappointed. It was actually fairly typical of birthdays in our household. The next year, my mom made a beautiful bundt cake with one of my Barbies in the middle and icing making the cake look like a dress. I had several of my little girl friends over, and it was a great birthday.  But I was ugly to my brother and didn't want him to be at my party. I'm sure we had had a squabble and I was carrying a grudge. My mother seemed to be okay with my not wanting him there. But then a year later when it was his birthday, she sent me away and said I could not be at his party since I did not let him attend mine. Geeze! Mom had a great memory and really taught me a lesson.

After that, I don't really remember birthdays until I was 16. Then I had a slumber party where we stayed up all night giggling and telling stories and listening to records and dancing. After everyone went home the next day, Mom took me shopping and bought me some plaid bell-bottoms and tops to match. I loved the new clothes, but I said something snarky to Mom on the way home. Rather than getting on to me, she said, "Are you worn out?" I answered yes, and began to cry. She just laughed at me. She could be a great mom sometimes.

I remember turning 18  - I had a week to go wearing a cast on my leg from a car wreck. I had a pity party. Nineteen was a terrible birthday that I won't go into. My 30 the birthday was skiing with the girls in Taos. My 40th was a surprise party at a friend's house. We were two hours late, because I did not know about the party and Toby was, well, Toby. Of course my 55th birthday in Paris still holds the no. 1 spot for birthdays with getting Rocket, my dog, two years ago as second place in birthdays. All in all, I am a spoiled brat and I have had some good birthdays with good friends. Toby does try to make my birthdays fun. This year I am a little under the weather, but I was a princess all day with Toby taking care of everything else. 

Here is a little portrait that I have been working on 


Here is Jesse's first-round painting at the Texas Art Battle 
 
And here is her final Art Battle painting

Now she goes to Daytona Beach, FL for the National championship. If you download the Art Battle app, you can watch and vote in real time on April 1st.


3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Well, I think you should celebrate all month. Gene's birthday is a couple of weeks before mine and when we were gone in the summer we would celebrate his, then mine and then both when we got back home with the kiddos. So for about a month! I don't remember any celebrations for birthdays at our house either as a kid. Hmmm. Now everyone picks their birthday dinner, either here or a restaurant or ??? Larry picked golf at one of those places where they have lots of layers of golf cubicles and we played, drank and ate. Even Jennie played- not usual for her. Ha. So better birthdays in old age.

Good for Jesse! Congrats to her. Maybe I can have better luck watching this time I put it on my calendar. Her paintings are so much fun.

I like the painting of the little boy. Full of mischief. Happy to think of you on your day. Larry always says he made another trip around the sun!

bag blog said...

Jo,
I like the idea of celebrating all month. Since I have been sickly on this birthday, I think we should start over next week.

Jo Castillo said...

Exactly!!