Friday, June 09, 2023

Big Move

 My how things change in such a short amount of time. Once again, I have fallen short on blogging. I give up on promising to do better. It is what it is. And I will try again.

During the time Jesse was working on the mural in downtown WF, she told her professor that she really loved working in the studio. He told her she should go back to school and get her masters and maybe get a job teaching college level ceramics. And the seed was planted. The prof gave her a list of grad schools with great ceramic programs. West Virginia was one of the top schools. So she wrote to several schools. West Virginia called and said they wanted her, had a job for her, and a full ride. She accepted and started preparing to head to WV in August. Then about the first of May, the WV professor called and said he had a summer residency in Red Lodge, Montana, and would Jesse be interested in spending the summer in the mountains working and doing ceramics. She needed to be there around June 1. Of course, she said yes. 

That kicked things up to warp-speed. She decided to sell her house and most of her stuff. She put some things in storage, lots of things at my house, and put her house on the market. We helped her as much as we could, cleaning and hauling things in our truck. Then on Friday of Memorial Weekend, we helped her clean the house and do a few fix-up things. She left the next morning for Montana, stopping to spend the night with my sister in Amarillo and then on to Colorado to stay with my cousin. Then she made it to Red Lodge where she has a very cute little apartment in a neat little western town in the mountains.

I am very excited for her. This will be a great opportunity. But I cried for about a week every time I thought about her moving away. It was difficult to talk about it to anyone without tearing up. This week I am much better. We inherited her little dog, the diva. 

Before Jesse left, we had our opening reception for the mother/daughter show at the Leslie Powell gallery in Lawton. It is a neat little gallery and the opening went well. I have sold a couple of pieces so far. 

Last night we had another reception for the CTAC gallery. For the summer, we do a "Starving Artist" show and sale. Each artist is supposed to take care of hanging his own art and keeping up with it on social media and such. I sold one little watercolor last night. 

Other than that, I have been working on pottery. We have done some local art walks, setting up our table of mugs and making sales. I have done a new painting. And we got new E-Bikes! The bikes are lots of fun. They have five levels of pedal assist. By setting that on level 2, we can cruise along at about 14 MPH as long as we continue to pedal. It also has gears, which helps with the hills around here. I am enjoying bike riding again. 

My little art student, Alayna, is going to be in the Wichita Falls Art Battle on June 23rd. If you get a chance to watch and vote, I think you will like her art.

Retirement is still going great. 

9 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

The time is flying by, you are right. Congratulations on sales. I imagine you are missing Jesse. Hope you get up there to Montana for a visit before she comes back and goes to Virginia. Your bikes sound like fun. Wow so much going on. New dog, to boot. Happy you are busy with pottery and painting. Good for you and applause for doing it all!

Take care.

bag blog said...

Jo,
It does seem like a busy time, but with Toby retired things are different. We stay busy - like Gene said - how did we ever have time for a job? But I am still adjusting to time for myself. Whatever the deal is, it is a good time.

Anonymous said...

It seems like all the doors just flew open for her. Amazing, but she is an amazing person. My son just moved to Arizona, so I know how you feel about missing her.

FF

Etienne said...

Wow, congratulations to your daughter. Maybe teaching college students would be tougher though.

Haven't been to Montana since about 1982 or so. Always drove through the park and ended-up in Cody for the night. It took all day usually to make it to Casper, because they tear-up half the highway every year to fix all the ice and freeze damage. Ha.

She may sound like Ellie Mae after a few years in coal country.

Jo Castillo said...

Lou, I told Gene when he retired, I retired, too. I wasn't going to stick to the work routine for cooking and eating, etc. We did well. Now that Gene isn't driving we are more tied together. I really miss him doing the grocery shopping. I think I'm going to break down and order groceries for pick up or deliver. Happy you are busy and enjoying retirement!

bag blog said...

Jo,
I have mentioned to Toby that I am retired, too. I think ordering your groceries is a good idea. Toby goes with me to do the shopping. I love that he helps me carry the groceries and helps me to remember what to get, but sometimes I miss "shopping" - looking for whatever I want to look at.

bag blog said...

FF,
Someone said that this seems to be Jesse's year, and it does. At least our children have moved to states where I want to visit. Although, I would probably want to visit them anywhere.

Jo Castillo said...

"but sometimes I miss "shopping" - looking for whatever I want to look at. " Yes true, I find things I forgot to put on the list or something new to try.

bag blog said...

Etienne,
Jesse has a Tex-Mex accent already. A little Ellie May thrown in there will sound okay.

FF,
I am looking forward to some trips out of state. Anything to get away from OK heat.

Jo,
Shopping - well, both Toby and I go and still forget things.