Saturday, July 01, 2023

World Watercolor Month 2023

 Today is July 1, 2023. I am going to try to do World Watercolor Month again. I will try to post my watercolors here, if not daily, then close enough. I have been looking forward to doing some watercolor. I have been glazing mugs using watercolor type paintings. I bought a new book on watercolor flowers in order to paint on my mugs, so expect to see lots of flowers. I also bought a Anne Abgott book called "Daring Color". I like her work, so you might see some of her technique and lessons during July also.

I started on my first watercolor this afternoon - a beach scene. I put down some tape to get the ocean line straight. Then I painted a while on the sand and shadows. When I pulled the tape off, the paper came up too! Tore a big piece off! So I started on another paper that I had cut just for the WWM. While cleaning out my art closet, I found some sheets of watercolor paper. So I cut it up to use. I got a little ways into the beach scene and realized this was the old paper that had problems absorbing the water without making funky spots. Why didn't I throw that away years ago? So, I started over again. Then I decided that I was tired of the beach scene and would do a quick poppy painting. I'll finish the beach scene tomorrow.

July 1



Mugs


M




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the mug paintings underglaze?
FF

bag blog said...

FF,
The inside is a regular glaze. The painted part is Mayco Stroke and Coat, which is technically not an underglaze. I am currently doing some testing to see if I could put clear over the S&C and it not run.

Jo Castillo said...

I'm loving the mugs!! Hope you keep making them. The poppy painting is super. Great start for you month.