Thursday, August 24, 2006

Picture of the Week 3


This is the pier at San Vito, Italy, the little village where we stayed a few years ago. Every day, Jesse and I would walk out on the pier, hang out, and then walk into town to do some shopping. The pier seemed to be a gathering place for locals - mostly men fishing, but it was a great place to stroll along. We often walked along the beach and picked up shells, but in April, the water of the Adriatic was bit cold. The fishing nets were pretty interesting, athough this painting does not do them justice. This painting did not turn out quite like I thought it would, but it is done.

4 comments:

inpassing said...

I'm impressed that you have been able to put out a picture a week. Not that I didn't think you could do it, but it seems like quite an undertaking.

Buck said...

I'm impressed, too.

What year did you visit San Vito, Lou? (I'm assuming it's San Vito dei Normanni, but there may be others.) Didja see any GI-types running around? We (the AF) used to have a spook site (electronic intercept) in San Vito and I know a few guys who still rave about the duty there. Most of the locations in that biz were in God-Awful places around the periphery of the USSR, and those were the ones I got sent to...

Bag Blog said...

Buck,we were in San Vito in 2002, but it was a little fishing village just south of Pescara; north of Bari. I never saw any GI types. The "dei Normanni" does not sound familiar. Halliburton has an office in Ortona. A friend of mine told me her father had been stationed in Italy, and she thought it was a place called San Vito. I thought she was crazy. Now, I think I will do some map research.

Becky G said...

I was in San Vito in 1991, just for the night. My boyfriend at the time wanted to drive all the way across Italy (from Naples), spend the night at the AF base, and drive home. I didn't see much, but I can say I was there!