Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Adjustments

Toby is off today. When Toby takes off work to work around the house, it is much like a weekend, and it is confusing. My allergies are keeping me from doing much outside, although I go out and check on Toby now and then – hand him tools, take him a coke (I’m from Texas; we call it a coke even if it is a Sprite), and act like I am helping. I read on SpouseBUZZ, a new military wife blog, about the difficulties in adjusting to the coming and going of their military husbands. Just adjusting to Toby being home during the week can throw my routine. But like the military spouses, I don’t really mind having him around – I can adjust.

Speaking of adjusting, Jesse had two softball games last night. I knew up front that I might have to play if they did not have enough girls. Because it is a coed team, they play by some pretty odd rules having to have so many girls on the field and every other batter must be a girl. It is a friendlier league than the city league that Jesse played for during the summer, which was much more stressful and competitive. Not only did I have to play last night; Toby had to play too because they were short of guys. My prayer was to just not embarrass myself or hurt myself. I think I did okay. The coach did not know his own team very well, much less two new people. He seemed to be a very nice young man. Fortunately, he was not expecting to win – just play the game. Yet, he probably thought, "Great, two old folks playing with us." It was a good thing that he was not expecting much from us. It sort of took the pressure off. We played in the outfield and batted at the end of the lineup. When I got up to bat, the coach said, "Just try to hit it easy." I told him that he did not understand how slow I was. The truth is that I am amazingly strong and very coordinated. I am just slower than molasses when it comes to running. The coach was pleasantly surprised when I hit the ball into outfield, but then I only made it to first base. By the time I made it to third, I was puffing like a locomotive. The third baseman said, "Nice hit." I could only nod at him, because I needed all my energy to breathe.

We did not have to play the second game – Thank God! More young people showed up and took our positions. Toby and I watched from the bench, relaxed, and caught our breaths. This morning we are a bit sore, but not too bad. I love competitive sports. They just beat the heck out of dancing around the room with a bunch of ladies at aerobics. I just wish I could still compete. How is it that your mind can stay so young, but your body starts wearing out? Another adjusment to make!

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

It would definitely make my ole daddy smile.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. Watching the teenagers and 20-somethings in karate class, and knowing I used to be able to do those things, too...