Friday, July 20, 2007

Painting of the Week




This photo was taken by Kris at Reflections by Kris - Journal. If you have not browsed through Kris' Journal and looked at her photography, you should. She has some wonderful photos which gave me some much needed inspiration. She gave me permission to paint one of her photos. "Spittal Pond," a photo from Bermuda, caught my attention with its lights and darks and great colors. There was also the challenge of painting water and rocks, which I am not good at. Here is my attempt at capturing with paint what Kris caught with her camera. I thought by posting both the photo and my painting it would give you a better idea of how I work.

5 comments:

Buck said...

Wow, Lou! For someone who isn't good at painting water and rocks, you sure fooled me! I think you nailed the water...and I can understand why that would be hard. The transition of the colors from deep blues to the shallow greens, and the challenge of getting it just right has to be difficult. I think you succeeded.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Buck. I try to teach to paint what you see, but sometimes we see things odd or off. I once painted a wonderful light house with a beach and rocks, but the rocks looked a bit like a beached whale.

This comment did not show up on my post for some reason.

Becky G said...

Very nice painting Lou. I think you did the water very well. I imagine it is as difficult to paint water as it is to draw it, and you did a fantastic job.

Anonymous said...

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well - this is taking to the Nth degree! What a gorgeous rendering of my photograph. I love how you captured the essence of Bermuda's true beauty - the softness of all its edges. Truly lovely!

Jo Castillo said...

This is really beautiful. We are in NM and I didn't have your blog on my blog reader on the iBook (lap top) so now I have lots of reading to catch up.

See ya,

Jo