Monday, August 18, 2008

Cool Weekend

We are getting a nice rain this morning (and last night). It is dark and cool outside – I love it. The morning has been a good time to catch up on my blog reading and coffee drinking. The rest of the day may be spent around the house doing some clean up from the weekend.

Saturday Toby and I went over to WF, because my brother, Craig, was up from Austin along with our longtime friend, Jim (Bimbo – a childhood name). When we got to WF, we went straight to the bike shop. Craig, Pete, and Bimbo showed up a few minutes later. I’m sure the bike store clerks thought we were crazy when I squealed, "There’s my brothers!" – it was a family reunion in the store with lots of hugs and catching up. Yes, I did just see Craig a few weeks ago, but it has been a year since I have seen Bimbo. I can see Pete all the time, but all three together was just a party. Later we picked up Mom and had lunch at Sevi’s, which are the best burritos in the world. Toby and I had the barbacoa supreme – yum! After lunch we hit the flea market where I bought this little jewel. Craig bought six softballs for $5.00 – what a deal. He also bought an old palm leaf cowboy hat for $2.00. He wore it right then and there, but it looked much better after Toby shaped it for him. We also went to an estate sale that had some great retro furniture and clothes. There was an old metal pink dining room table and chairs that was in mint condition for $225.00. Bimbo wanted to buy this and sell it for profit in Austin, which was probably a good plan. They also had a sectional couch that was right out of the 60’s. One bedroom set was the same as Toby’s grandparent’s set, but this set looked brand new. We didn’t buy anything, but we did drool. The day was cool and overcast, which is odd for WF in August, but very nice. It would be nice if next weekend (the Hottern’ Hell bike race) would be the same.
After church, we headed to the lake again. Jesse had invited a couple of coworkers to go sailing. Once again the day was overcast with the threat of rain. There was little to no wind, which was perfect for the kayaks, but not so great for the sailing. We just swam and lazed around. The Grand Girls had colds and I did not see them this weekend. I did stop by for a few minutes on Friday at lunch. They were tired of being cooped up in the house (a bit rambunctious), and they were still snotty. I don’t think my presence helped much – they tend to get excited when Booboo and Crewcraw show up.
It is shaping up to be a busy week.

11 comments:

Inquiries said...

Sounds like you guys had fun! You always have fun!

.... said...

What an eventful weekend, you made me tired just reading about it....sounds like a lot of fun.

Buck said...

It's been a coon's age since I was last in a flea market, and that's sad. I suppose (some) garage sales might approach the wonderfulness of flea markets, but I think not. There just isn't as much variety and scale as what you'll find at a good flea market. Yet another aspect of city living I miss.

The weather was GREAT this weekend, wasn't it?

Becky G said...

That sounds like a great weekend. Here's hoping the weather will stay cool for your bike race.

GUYK said...

what Lake is that? I don't recognize the land marks..

Bag Blog said...

Guyk, that is Duncan Lake. We are on the east side of the lake looking west. This swim area is near the dam. The old park and concesssion stand are on the north side.

Bag Blog said...

Buck, McAllen, TX had a flea market called La Grande Pulga - it was a fun place.

ASW, the things we do for our children...or in this case, our grown daughter who we are trying to marry off :)

Becky, thanks for the high hopes.

Ashley, you should come sailing with us - you would have liked Jes' coworker - you have not met this one.

Buck said...

Ashley, you should come sailing with us - you would have liked Jes' coworker - you have not met this one.

Oh, Great. Now I've got this earworm...

♫ Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch ♫


;-)

Inquiries said...

Lou: I should! That would be fun!

Buck: Do you think we should start calling Lou Yenta?

GUYK said...

OK..I have not been on Duncan Lake since the mid 1950s..I reckon that is why I didn't recognize it...may not even be the same Duncan lake..I know they have built a lot of new lakes since I lefty the area

Buck said...

Buck: Do you think we should start calling Lou Yenta?

YOU might wanna do that... ;-)