Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Comment Questions

Alison asked me to describe some of the items my friend, Glenna, had collected on her travels to India, Malaysia, and the Middle East. Yes, there were paintings – mostly watercolors. There were several paintings depicting scenes from India, and there was one large Asian (China or Japan) painting that I was very impressed with. Glenna and her husband have also bought many paintings from people in the Duncan Art Guild including several paintings of mine and Jesse’s (mostly my cowboy paintings to decorate the "grand boys" room). Upon walking into the home, there was a huge chest (about the size of my kitchen table) with rough metal wheels. Glenna said the chest was an Indian dowry chest used to place a bride’s dowry inside and given to the groom. There were many cabinet type pieces of furniture with very ornate carvings. Everywhere there were wooden pots, clay pots, swords, scarves, masks, canes, nic-nacs, etc. all very artfully arranged. Both bedrooms had rod-iron beds in English style bought in India. In one bedroom there was a couch and coffee table with peacock type carvings – the couch looked sort of Grecian – very beautiful. There was a wooden baby bath and a baby’s chest, which was very interesting. Glenna had bought handmade linens and placed them in the chest. In the bedrooms, there were armoires and washstand style furniture. I should also mention that there were wall hangings, antique doors and windows used as wall art, rugs, etc. There was just too much to describe – I will have to go back with my camera. All just amazing!

Jo asked about the painting that I did while at Glenna's house. I would show you, but I am still not able to upload photos to my blog. Every now and then it will work, but mostly not. I have been working on an oil painting here at home and have taken pictures at different stages of the painting. I will post it when I can or maybe get Jesse to post them from work.

The weather here today is nasty. Sleet and ice cover everything. Toby and Jesse drove to town together. Toby reported back that the sleet actually made driving a little easier and they arrived safely. I plan on staying home and keeping warm today.

5 comments:

joyce said...

stay warm! our ice event is starting, but nothing like yours. Radio weathermen say our ice accumulation comes between 6pm and 3am but warming up into the forties by Wednesday noon. I am staying in, as it is just not worth it to fall.

Buck said...

Your friend's home sounds wonderfully decorated, Lou. Your description also reminds me of my father's house, which was decorated much the same way... with relics and artifacts he'd collected in Europe and the Mid-East (which is also the "between the lines" meaning of the comment I dropped about being employed by Halliburton, yesterday).

I'm watching your weather in The WX Channel, as we speak. Stay warm and stay safe if you have to go out... but I think staying IN would be the best plan...

Dale said...

Yep the weather is yucky and is not supposed to be getting any better today. Poor Buck is the one I'm worried about. I'm at work right now but I plan on heading home when the temp falls to 32 again. Right now we are setting at 34. You guys just stay safe!!

Becky G said...

Stay warm and safe! Your ice and sleet are headed our way later this evening.

Alison said...

Wow! Thanks Lou... almost sounds like it could be a museum! I love old hand crafted furniture.. my family dabbled in antiques and I remember rooms full of old wooden furniture. I bet your friends house could be a showcase! Stay warm if you can, I guess we're in for it out here tomorrow morning!