Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Workings of My Mind

It is funny how the mind works sometimes or doesn’t work as the case may be. Yesterday I was supposed to cut a friend’s hair (an older man in our fellowship who doesn’t get out much). I called him to cancel and schedule another time. I started to say, "Can I take a rain…" but the word eluded me. I thought, "rain maker, rain gauge, rain cloud, rain down on me…" but no "rain check." I almost LOL trying to think of the right word. It did not come to me until long after the conversation was over. And then when I least expect it, I think of the word.

The other day Toby was telling me of a backhoe company that we might be able to use for digging the footing for our house. He could not think of the name of the company. "It’s over on old Hwy 7 just past Dawn’s house," he said.
Me, "Oh, I’ve seen that place. It’s called…hmm, something about a bird…hmm, bird’s nest…"
Toby, "I think it is called something like Hobbknobbers."
Me, "Yeah! That’s it!"
We looked at each other for a minute. Then I said, "Well, maybe hobbknobber reminds me of a bird or bird’s nest."
Now that I think about it, I think the name of the backhoe company was more like "hob-gobbler’s nook." Who know what the real name of the place is! It still reminds me of a bird for some reason.

8 comments:

Buck said...

I started to say, "Can I take a rain…" but the word eluded me.

Here's the bad news... it only gets worse as you get older... to the point of serious embarrassment at times. I'd cite some personal examples, but they're eluding me at the moment. ;-)

Bag Blog said...

Although that is not encouraging, it did make me laugh. Maybe our brains are like computers. As we get older and get so much stuff stored away, it just takes a while for our computers to search and find the things we are looking for. I think I may need a bigger, faster brain.

Becky G said...

Funny stories, Lou! I'm getting that way myself.

Junk Diva said...

Gobblers-Nob it would be. Turkey is a bird. LOL Are we getting old????

Mrs. Bear said...

Who knows how my brain works. I get funny looks from people all the time. I'm a little worried about who names a business Gobblers-Nob...must have something to do with wild turkeys or maybe a family name. Hummm now I have that funny look on my face!!!

Bag Blog said...

Gobblers-Nob - I knew it had a bird in the name!

Anny, I know that look on your face - the one that says "that's just stupid!"

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Yep...Gobbler Snob...that's it. I've always wondered...is that anything like a beers nob or a wines nob?

Unknown said...

I find it helps me to surround myself by others 'like me' :) We somehow understand what the other says, even if we have no idea what we are saying, understand???
Great post!
~AM