Tuesday, June 01, 2010

The Scissor-tail

From "The Raven"

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'
Well, it is not the wind, and it is not a raven. It seems to be a Scissor-tail. I don't know why he wants in my window, but he is becoming a bit of a pest with is rapping, tapping at my window lattice. Since we put in the window units last week, he has been beating himself against my window. Sometimes he goes over and beats against Jesse's window. He rests now and then, but then goes into a frenzy of flying and flapping and tapping. It is difficult to capture all his movements with the camera. He is insistent. The question is, why thereat is.

9 comments:

Jesse Baggett said...

He was tapping at my window yesterday while Lindsay and I were talking. He was a little eerie.

Buck said...

Are ya familiar with Hitchcock's work? Mebbe he's a scout...

;-)

Bo said...

At least its a scissortail and not a crow. We had a crow doing that at the office a few months ago. It was a little eerie. I guess he wanted his taxes done real bad.

Bag Blog said...

Bo,
Now a crow would remind me of Hitchcock's "The Birds" and I would be very eerie.

Buck,
I saw "The Birds" not too long ago, but I got bored with it quickly. Rod Taylor is pretty cute, though.

Jes,
He nearly beat himself to death and then pants with his mouth hanging open - yep eerie!

Junk Diva said...

Maybe he built a nest in the house befor the windows went in.

Jo Castillo said...

I think it is actually the reflection. We have a bee wick wren that does that, too. I saw on wetcanvas that you can hang something outside?? Like wind chimes or streamers. Our window is up very high so takes a 30 ft ladder to hang something there. Better a stunned bird than Gene falling off the ladder. Ha.

Bag Blog said...

Jo,
I put a mat board in the window hoping it would upset his view of himself, but he still kept banging on the window. He started out this morning at the window, but seems to have moved on today. I thought about putting something flapping outside to scare him off.

Laurie said...

I wonder if he is trying to land on the very straight looking bar of the cross piece of the window?

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Maybe he's a scientific type...and doing some experiment for the betterment of avian kind.