Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend Report - Zoey

My internet went down on Saturday afternoon is just now working again.  I got a lot done this morning. Last night I actually watched basketball.  I am not a fan, but The Oklahoma Thunder is in the finals, and I am an Okie these days.  Although, last night may not have been the night to watch. Without internet, one has to do what one has to do.

Without being melodramatic (which I can do pretty well) I need to tell you my sad news that I mentioned last week.  On Monday of last week, I took my Great Dane, Zoe, into the veterinarian.  Zoe has had a big knot on her front leg  for about two weeks.  I had thought it was probably arthritis or some infection.  Unfortunately, it was osteosarcoma - bone cancer - which is common in big breed dogs.  Prognosis is not good.  Other than managing her pain, it is a fast-acting cancer.  When I asked how long, the vet said 4 to 6 weeks.  Dang.

On the funny side, she loved riding in the cab of the truck to the vet's office in town - actually we went to two different vets.  Now Zoe thinks she should load up whenever we go in the truck.  Toby went out to the barn with the truck, and Zoe rode with him.  She sits in the front seat and has to bend a bit to see out the window - she is so huge.

With the summer heat, I have also been letting her in the house during the hot part of the day.  Once again, she liked this pretty well.  Most of the time she is well behaved and lays in the floor quietly.  I left some bread on the counter and forgot that she is tall enough to help herself, which she did. I didn't actually see her take the bread, but I came back in the room wondering, "Where did put that bread?"  Jack the Red Heeler thinks he has to come in with her - he is not well behaved, and must lick and nip me every chance he gets.


This past week went well for Zoe with the new pain meds. She walks with me to the mail box as usual and acts like she is guarding the house when someone drives up. This is  pretty hard on me, but I am glad for the time with her.  I am praying for healing and mercy.  There is always hope.

7 comments:

Buck said...

Wow, I feel bad for ya, Lou. But like you say: there's always hope. I'm sending my best thoughts.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Buck. It is what it is.

Jo Castillo said...

Thinking of you. How do we get so attached to animals?? Wishing the best for Zoe.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Jo. Animals come and go - such is life on a farm, but Zoe is just pretty special.

Becky G said...

I'm so sorry, Lou. Prayers here, too.

Deb said...

So sorry to hear this one. I lost the Buddha to this nasty one. Thoughts and prayers to you both.

Moogie P said...

So sorry. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Our animals are family.