Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Last Day - Long Walk

Our last full day in Paris was a full day of walking and sight-seeing. It was fairly cold and windy, but we did not let that stop us. We rode the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe. Jesse and I climbed up to the top - dang, it was a hike up steep spiral steps! With people ahead of us and behind us, there was no turning back - not that I would have. Jesse said that it was not very crowded - not like she had seen before - probably due to the cold and wind. Anyway, once were atop, we took several photos of ourselves. My short arms never take great self-portraits, so we will go with Jesse's photos. Some of which she used her app on (if she could just trim my neck and make me look so good...)The week we were in Paris, Cousin Jim told us that his military guys (whatever they would be called) participated in a ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe's continuous flame - similar to our Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (I have a picture of the flame, but it is on the other puter). I thought that was interesting.

After taking more pictures at the bottom of the Arc, we started down the Champs-Elys'ees, which was a grand place for walking and shopping with designer stores and fancy car dealers. This was taken at the Toyota store celebrating 75 years of Toyotas. We walked and walked past some interesting little parks, past the US Embassy, past the Place de la  Concorde to a restaurant called Angelina's. We had a nice lunch and shared a cup of hot chocolate - thick, rich chocolate. Then we moved on past the Louvre. When we visited the museum earlier in the week, we had come into it through the Metro and I did not see the building. This time, we paused outside to see the building and take a few pics.  Then we crossed the Seine to the Conciergerie   We eventually started for home and headed to the Metro. The nearest stop put us back near the flower mart mentioned a few days ago. It is a fun place, but we did not buy anything - just took photos.Then knowing the corner cafe was a fun place, we headed there for some coffee to warm us up.  Here is another silly photo.

11 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

Ah Paris. You've got me feeling all nostalgic Lou!

Bag Blog said...

It was a good time. My French was not so good, though.

NavyOne said...

Neat, I will say, you all looked like you had a great time!

Buck said...

I wasn't there with all y'all, yet I'm sad to see the story end here. Such great photos! Such a great time!

Bag Blog said...

NavyOne, we saw a Lamborghini On the Champ-Elys'ees and I thought of you.

Bag Blog said...

Buck, I think having the France cousins take us around to a few places made the trip more of the French experience. I would like to see some other places in France besides the big city. Normandy and the wine country would be on that list.

Jo Castillo said...

It was great fun and a learning experience to go along with you to Paris. It has never been on my list of things to do, but looks like it was a perfect trip for you guys. Applause for the good run down and sharing with us. Woo hoo!!

Buck said...

All the stereotypes aside, there's a LOT to like about France. And you're right... getting out o' Paris shows you a whole 'nuther world. Visiting Paris and sayin' "I've been to France" is a lot like sayin' "I went to NYC and saw America."

Provence is my second favorite part o' France because o' all the history, architecture, beautiful weather and... of course... the FOOD!

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Jo. You would have loved the art and the food. I can just picture Gene messing with the snooty waiters.

Bag Blog said...

My friend, Barb, read the book "A Year in Provence." I think I would love Provence. One of my favorite lite movies is "A Good Year" about a guy who inherits a vineyard in France. Fun stuff.

Stefan said...

I was thinking of you guys last weekend in Dallas. There was this red-neck pickup truck (yea, the little jewels on the trailer hitch) with a bumper sticker that had an image of the Eiffel Tower and said:

I'd rather be in Paris !

Then below it, it said Paris Texas Rodeo