Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Amazing Love

I was just doing a bit of ironing, which always gives me time for thought. Tomorrow is my 36th wedding anniversary, and I was remembering how it all went down 36 years ago. This post from back in 2007 told how my dad sit by my bed on the morning of my wedding - he was not happy about my wedding, but resigned. Amazing. When I think back to that day, that is the first memory to come to mind. It reminds me how close Dad and I were - how hard that time was - how determined I was - how crazy it all was. I thank the Lord that He was looking out for me in my stubbornness, my youthfulness, my rebellion - for that is what it was. Although I was pretty sure about my feelings for Toby, it also felt like a giant ball rolling fast - one that could not be stopped.  We just had to roll with it. I'm glad we rolled along. It has not always been easy.  It is funny how those feelings you thought were love back in the day were mostly lust.  I always knew I liked being with Toby.  That was something I had never felt about the guys I dated.  Usually I got tired of a guy pretty quick. Toby was fun and he laughed at my jokes. I could be me, and he liked me. Amazing. And he wanted to be married to me. Amazing. And of course there was the physical attraction. That was pretty amazing too. What is really amazing is how I feel about him now. I still love being with him. We still laugh lots. There is still the attraction, although lots has changed in our physical selfs. Amazing. Now, it is love.

15 comments:

Andy said...

Lou, this is just BEAUTIFUL.

PERFECT.

Seriously...

Girl, that touches my heart in more ways than Blogger allows enough characters for me to type in a comment.

I'm seriously crying. Long road with my life partner, too...married in that same era...and it was mostly lust, too.

At the time.

God bless y'all. And, God bless you for posting this! You may not understand this...but you've done God's work by putting this out.

I mean it.

BTW...make him give you something REALLY expensive!

Becky G said...

Happy Anniversary!

Barbara said...

Well said . . . after 37 years of marriage, this brought tears to my eyes because it is exactly how a relationship grows. Thanks and happy anniversary!

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Andy. It is always good to hear from you. I will make Toby take me out to dinner for sure.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks Becky.

Bag Blog said...

Thanks, Barbara. I didn't mean to make anyone cry, but yeah, a relationship grows and becomes something special. I hope to see you this summer - will talk to Jes this weekend and let you know.

Buck said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Toby, Lou. It's obvious to anyone who knows you that you have a great love.

Paula's father wasn't any too happy with her decision to marry, either. She was on his arm and they were getting ready to walk down the aisle (so to speak) when he told her "It's not too late. I'll send you to grad school and buy you a car if you call this off. You just stay here and I'll go out and tell everyone to go home."

I'm thinkin' she prolly wishes today she'd have taken him up on that. ;-)

John said...

And I was on a jeep trip and missed out...at least I got to go to the reception (and Toby's bachelor party). Lou...you're words are very thought out and ring true for a lot of young couples. And look what the Lord has produced for you. A loving marriage with great kids and grandkids. You are one lucky girl kiddo to have it all! :-)

Bag Blog said...

The word is blessed.

Bag Blog said...

Ah, but then she would not have such a handsome son.

Consuela's Boss said...

Yours is very nice marriage, and I think maybe strengthened by not having huge gaps in separation (I'm guessing).

In my job they had me traveling almost six months of the year (but only in 3-week stints). At first we said "no big deal" but it wore on her in ways that we didn't expect.

I remember saying "I've got to go again next week" and she'd say "whatever, you missed mine and the kids birthdays, you missed our anniversaries, etc, etc, what you need is a f'n maid".

Anyway, that's what I got now, a maid, Consuela comes by every week and calls me a pig. I think she learned that from my ex...

Sometimes life isn't like a box of chocolates, but life is a short stick and you have to play it to the max! Get what you deserve and want, and kick the bad stuff down the road.

John said...

Yes...good word indeed!

NavyOne said...

Congrats Lou. I wish you and your husband many more years together. You both are quite lucky that you found each other!

Buck said...

You 'n' me, Boss. You 'n' me. Except I don't have a (regular) maid. ;-)

Jo Castillo said...

Congratulations! You have the neatest family. Love the post. Hugs to you both.