Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Try

Taking my new learned pastel knowledge, I tried a bit of painting yesterday.  I did the watercolor under-wash, and then started adding layers of value. I think I do okay on that part, but then I have trouble with details. Tom Christopher kept his paintings very loose, yet he gave the idea of detail. I could detail a painting to death, but I am trying NOT to do that. So, I struggle with how much detail is necessary and how much is enough. Although I like Christopher's technique, I don't "own it" yet. Maybe not ever. His techniques were very helpful and I will be using lots of ideas from him, but I have to own it or make it mine. When I chose this aspen scene to paint, I wanted to try his technique again. Now I need to find something that is mine and apply his technique combined with mine. Soon.

 Anyway, when I photograph my paintings and put them on the blog, it really helps me to see the painting in a new light, so to speak. I see things that need help or not. I am open to critique, too.

It started raining steady last night and is suppose to continue today. Come on rain. 

7 comments:

Buck said...

I couldn't possible critique your work unless it's a binary sorta thing: "like" or "don't like." I'm quite sure I've never given your work a thumbs-down, ever.

That said... aspens? Those look like birch trees to me.

Our WX is quite dreary today... cool (66 degrees) and heavy mist, as we speak.

Bag Blog said...

Hmm, they looked like aspens in the photo, but you could be right.

We had overcast skies and a bit of drizzle. It cooled down to the 70's or low 80's most of the day. Not bad.

Alison said...

Hi Lou,
I am not an art "Critic" so my opinions are unprofessional and I have little knowledge of the Art of "Art". I'm like Buck in that I either like it or don't, but I also have a "eh" setting. That being said, I like your paintings. ALL of them. I don't know if I ever told you, but the cards you sent to me at Christmas, went into frames and are displayed in my home. I like to see how you develop your paintings... from start to finish. We had a beautiful day here yesterday, temps in the 70's with lots of sunshine. Today it is raining cats and dogs... I got soaked running from the truck across the parking lot into work. Hoping it clears by the end of the work day... Regards, A.

Stefan said...

I would have added a little girl (le petit) with a red riding hood (chaperon rouge) and a Wolf (un Loup) ! Or, maybe just a trail of bloody foot steps emanating from Grandma's house somewhere (dans la forêt) in the forest from which the hunter saved Grandma and the little girl by killing the Wolf...

OK, OK, too much booze, apologies to monsieur Charles Perrault... :-)

Bag Blog said...

Alison, it is always good to hear from you - especially with such a sweet comment. That could get you more Christmas cards.

Bag Blog said...

Stefan, who knows? There may be a wolf in the painting (el lobo).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.