Thursday, January 02, 2014

Day One

We spent New Year's Day in WF with Toby's mom watching bowl games. My mom was nowhere to be found, which is okay. She was out with her friends (We will have cell phone instructions next week when I am back over there).  We went to the grocery store to get things for Toby's mom and for ourselves - like black-eyed peas and some tamales.  As we were checking out, the young checker asked if we had watched the ball drop on New Year's Eve. I answered "No, but we watched the neighbor set fire to the pasture when he tried to set off fireworks." The checker was much impressed. It was actually pretty exciting, much more so than a silly ball in NY City.  I heard the first pop of fireworks and went to see what was happening - hoping to show the GGs some fireworks. Instead, I watched as the new neighbor accidentally lit all the fireworks at once, which exploded in a large circle of fireworks on the ground. Toby and I stood looking out the window wondering if we needed to get dressed and go help put out the fires, Fortunately, there was not much wind and what wind there was was coming from the south - away from our house. The neighbor seemed to have it under control  pretty quickly. No problemas.

Before all the excitement with the fireworks, we drank grape juice form champagne glasses with the GGs who were spending the night. We all made a toast and clinked our glasses. GBN2's toast was actually a nursery rhyme - Jack be nimble...We also watched "Night at the Museum" with the GGs. They seemed to like it okay, once they trusted us to make the decision on what movie to watch. Did they think we would show them something scary or inappropriate? Silly girls. How did we ever manage to raise their father? 

I got out a new sketch book and did a bit of sketching for New Year's. One of my resolutions is to do more drawing. It goes with the resolution to do more art. As for that more exercise resolution...maybe tomorrow.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! Love your GGs!

Bag Blog said...

I knew you would like the black-eyed peas and tamales.

Stefan said...

If there's anything less useful is people who will spend huge sums of money on fireworks. It's like psychiatrists take three days off, and their patients drugs run out. Then they travel to some shack on the side of the road and buy fireworks instead of meth. I told my neighbor if he sets fire to my garage I am going to shoot his dog.

Bag Blog said...

People here in OK spend lots of fireworks and probably drugs too. Both scare the crap out of me.

Jo Castillo said...

Well, maybe not so much the black-eyed peas. Tamales!! Yes!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hmm, concrete spam, now I've seen everything...